The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

CA Engine Swap Laws/Question

Anyone savvy to the engine swap laws in California? Like, first hand “I’ve done it” savvy?

I read through this page and though it was pretty basic, I thought it would be beneficial to pass on:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

My specific question is admittedly based on hearsay and this is where I could use some clarification.

I have heard two variations of what is basically the same concept. First: the c.i.d. of the engine to be swapped (ex: 454 c.i., 350 c.i., 351 c.i., etc.) must have been originally offered from the factory for that make and model year. Second: the specific make and model of the engine to be swapped (ex: GM 454, GM 350, Ford 351) must have been originally offered from the factory for that make and model year.

Basically, what I want to know is, can I drop a ‘88+ 454 into my ’88 ¾ ton 4x4 Suburban? Even though 454’s were available in the Subs for my model year, they were not available in the 4x4’s.

Does that disqualify me? I would appreciate any clarification from those who’ve gone down this road.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote