The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
losthope

Birth of a C10

Well i figured i start a thread on the progress of my 66' ive been working to replace the 65' i wrecked here:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=473562

So while i was layed up on crutch's and in a cast after the accident i was surfing Craigslist at trucks just for the hell of it i ran across a add that was listed weird like "chevy truck" in the part's section with no pictures for $500....so i said what the hell will just go look at it.I wasnt planning on buying another truck but thought i have the motor from the 65( that might run it was a crap shoot) and if i can build a truck for under $2500 i would do it since i could just buy a running driving truck around this area for $3000 no problem....when i got there this is what i saw:

no motor no trans,1966 , new rubbers and ball joints up front,power steering conversion,new radiator in box,new heater blower motor,black and yellow plates,registered,have the front chrome bumper and straight tailgate and headlight buckets in bed, chrome cab trim pieces, he also through in a eldebrock 4bbl,rebuilt holley double pumper,headman headers,new habor freight sawzall in box.He was moving and had found a 1952 chevy sedan ,and the wife said the truck or the car. I told him id buy it on the spot for $400 he said ya and we signed the papers and i towed it to my pops back forty:

A couple of my buddys came over to my pop's house before i bought the 66 and pulled the 350 crate motor out of the 65' and i let them scrap the truck and one guy have the trans,So i dropped in the 350 motor in the 66' on crutches and had it towed to my house and now in need of a trans since i wasnt planning on buying a truck.

then driving down a street i saw a set of wheels at the end of a drive way with a note that said leave $20 bucks in the mail box and take all four,they were 6 lug and assumed they were off the 68 gmc in the drivewayand i need them to get truck rolling since the rusted out spokes and flat tires werent cutting it!:

so the first thing i did was rewire the engine compartment and installed a manual master cylinder untill i can buy a power setup:

i got the brakes bleed and it stops pretty good for now,I then headed out to my cousin "Glendale"'s and had him weld the steering shaft for the power steering setup step 1. make sure you wear your safety approved flip-flops:

Step 2. set the shaft on our custom made welding jig:

step 3. weld! notice the pro flip-flop weding stance! spread feet wide apart so no sparks get ya!!

hows the weld look? "glendale's" flip flop weld pass's with A+

installed:

There's some guys that strip and sell 67-72 chevy trucks out in orangevale ca. Ray and Joe and sell parts on craigslist and on the main board .they are great guys and i buy parts from them every so often and picked up the power steering pump i needed for my long water pump setup for $65... thanks to "captain fab" for putting up with me emailing him ?'s on what i was looking for!

mocking it up still need to clean it up and paint it...

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote