The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Roanoker494

Need some help towing a 77 K25 on a towbar

I have a 1977 GMC K25 sitting approx 100 miles from me that needs to come home. Having never used a towbar personally I wanted to run the situation by some of you fellers that may have more experience. I do have a driver that claims to be experienced with using towbars but I would like to educate myself a little before just taking his word.

First question up is what would ya'll think the true curb weight of a 1977 K25 4x4 High Sierra to be? The truck has a 350, TH400, full float rear, lock out hubs, 3750LB max 16" wheels and E rated 245/75/16 tires. The title states a 4069LB curb weight but I believe that to be a little on the conservative side.

The available towing truck will be a 1982 C30 2wd with a bumper mount ball and standard load rated 265/75/16 tires. My concern here is can that truck handle the additional weight of the K25? I am also concerned that those passenger rated tires may have too much sidewall roll to handle the K25 in a turn.

Next up is where would be the best place to mount a towbar on the K25? The top bumper bolts would give me the levelest mounting angle but those holes are not through the actual frame but through a separate bracket bolted to the frame with just one large bolt. The bumper would have to be left in place or those brackets would surely start swinging around and then there is the concern as to weather the bumper would be enough support to keep the brackets stable. The bottom holes would leave me with the towbar mounted lower than the hitch, which I am not sure if that would "fly" or not, and those holes are at a angle which seems like it would leave the mounting bolts in a bind.

Yes I have considered a tow dolly or trailer but Uhaul says though the truck will fit they will not rent me either piece of equipment if using the mentioned C30. I would be left having to also rent a Uhaul box truck which would put me in the range of $300+, which is saving nothing since many local tow companies would do it for that price.

I originally tried to drive the truck on a 3 day trip permit but the truck has just been sitting for too many years to safely drive the distant. I first had to do a complete tuneup to get it running but I did not make it more than 5 miles before it conked out, this time I suspect the Edlebrock Performer carb to be the problem. I managed to get it running somewhat okay but it still had a problem when it's time for the secondaries to kick in, it could be a weak fuel pump problem but I did not investigate it any further after the front seal gave way and started dumping oil all over the place. At this point it was time to just take it back and try again another day but when I climbed in the truck the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, so either it has a blown out brake hose or the master cylinder crapped out. Just a bunch of little "nick pick" issues but it is clear that driving the truck would be a bad plan.
Roanoker494 is offline   Reply With Quote