The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
endlessearth

The pusher

Sometime ago I started to really get interested in vintage pics of push trucks from the Bonneville Salt Flats and drag racing. I have a '64 C20 that I use for ranch work and beating around town on a daily basis and I wanted to do more with it. It is a cool original truck but it is a C20 long bed with no rust and a lot of dented (but original) sheet metal so I wasn't about to go too crazy. Yet, at the same time the truck has so much character and "heart" that I felt it needed more of an identity. (Does that sound crazy?)

I took my vision to a really knowledgeable guy old school hot rod guy here in Scottsdale who helped me with my '29 AV8 a couple years ago. Here is a pic:

He knows how to do to things right and I trust his ability to shape my vision.

So, we have replaced the 283 with a 355 block using as many of the original parts from the 283. While in the engine bay, 50 years of grime where removed and the frame and inner fender walls were repainted and the radiator was re-cored. Ultimately it is going to have a pretty unique old school cool air intake on top but we are still looking for last part that we need - another air cleaner assembly from which to rob the snorkel.

The SM420 is out and a TKO500 is in place and the tranny cover is being re-worked.

I acquired some screw-on Moon Discs and I love how they look on the truck. All the metal work that isn't painted is going to be brushed to match the discs.

It isn't a big budget build but I am sure looking forward to running it through the gears and using it both to push and on the strip at the next vintage drag event here in Phoenix...as well as to haul hay, grain, water and fenceposts. Call it a 50 year face lift and now it can do truck stuff for another 50.

I will post some final pics when it is done. Heck, I might even make it to Goodguys next weekend in Scottsdale.

- Grant

endlessearth is offline   Reply With Quote