The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post

Ackattack - Just got done reading your build thread and like what you have done. I am having the same issues with my Hydraboost puking. I don't have an external cooler but would you please expand on how to bleed this system. Thanks.

Also, I like your wheel and tire choices. I ordered up the same size tire and wheels. How do you like the Toyo A/T 2s? I ordered up the A/Ts (they were about 200 dollars less.

I didn't really do anything to bleed the hydroboost system other than operate the brakes and steering while it was running.

The tires are pretty good. I have about 12k miles on the truck now and they're starting to show a little wear, but still lots of tread left. They're pretty quiet (at least compared to the engine). The traction in snow/mud is OK. I did have to put it into 4wd to get out of my driveway the other day, but that is probably more having to do with the fact that I have open diffs than the tires The wear may be attributed to my alignment. The alignment guy suggested I get some offset ball joints to help it out a little, but I didn't. We'll see how they hold up over the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
How is the ride with some air in the bags? did it make it any softer? I am doing air bags on my crew cab. I want to use a little larger diameter rolling lobe style bags and lift it enough that the springs arent holding any weight so its mostly riding on the bag. How many pounds of air do you have to put in to start lifting the truck?

Thanks,
Mike
I haven't really used the air ride (other than messing around) Normally I don't have any air pressure in them and just drive around on the regular springs. The air bag set up may have actually made it a little worse, because when I bolted it all together the bolts that hold the airbag bracket to the leaf springs compressed pulled the springs together, so they're acting more like 1 higher rate spring compared to the multileaf setup that would get stiffer as weight is added. Its not much of a difference if any, although I may back the nuts off a little on the air bag brackets to "help" with this.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote