The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Paul Y

No. I am not dead yet. So here's a question on Chassis Stiffening...

Well, well, well... Look what the proverbial cat has drug in.

Definitely not dead and finally getting back into the saddle with Young Woody after a forced 3ish year hiatus.

So, here is the question then chaps. Please bear in mind that I don't have two brass farthings to rub together so I will be making all of this stuff myself rather than purchasing from one of the fine vendors on this site.

I want to strengthen the chassis on my 66 shortbed.

Why? LS - Turbo - Manual.

Spent a lot of time looking at how others have done it and wanted to throw my thoughts into the mix and get some feedback.

I have had a look at what Summit are offering (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770820/overview/)

And think that I can do something better.

My thought is to box the chassis between the trailing arm crossmember forward to the front cab mount.

Then use the idea of summits tubular stiffener but instead of going back the chassis at the rear tie it into the trailing arm crossmember.

I would then use removable crossmembers to tie the two sides together and provide a support for the gearbox.

Behind the trailing arm crossmember, box in as far back as possible and then triangulate from the centre of that crossmember back to the boxing.

Yup, know that I will get a more rigid chassis if I tie the top AND bottom of the chassis but runout of room real quick...

Will get a badly drawn diagram to illustrate when I get back to the ranch.

Thoughts welcome.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote