The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: stock cam or aftermarket for low speed torque
stock cam been running so well for decades why mess with it 9 69.23%
summit 1102 or something similar 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
mjmarinara

71 K10, just stick with stock cam??

Hi all, dug a real rough and tired but solid frame 71 k10 cheyenne out of a barn in the spring and got it running and driving real well.
350 performer type intake holley 600 ramhorns 2" duals, sm465 33X12.5 3.73 factory posi. keeping the truck as close to stock as i can for the most part no interest in swaps or anything

runs like a top compressions a little low but within 10 percent, points ignition running 14 degrees initial timing 18" vacuum at idle, thing is, its leaking oil from damn near every gasket and oil coming out passenger pipe imagine valve seals are shot so im gonna pull the motor and hope to have it back in in a day or so just want to reseal it.

but of course i started thinking heads cam blah blah toned it back to just a cam, but now im wondering is its even worth it

was planning on summit 1102 or something similar i see a lot of guys here like it but i simply want off idle to max 4000 torque, low speed work,pull heavy trailer at 55-60 sort of thing.

was driving down gravel roads last night lightin up the tires having a blast pretty much all i need but my intention is not to beat on this truck so revving it out is not anything i care to do.

is a cam just gonna move my rpm up at this point?? is it even worth the extra time doing it when im trying to get the motor back in an afternoon and with snow coming any day? even gonna really notice anything with my purpose?? thanks!
mjmarinara is offline   Reply With Quote