The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad orange View Post
Thanks for the help, I got the battery charged and had another guy look at it (see what I missed) and it looks like the black ground wire is gone in the pic VetteVet posted. when I was talking to the one guy he asked if I had to polarize the system. I said I did not know. Do I need to polarize the system

Also I wanted to thank all of you for your help, Once I get my truck running I am defiantly becoming a paying board member
Quote:
Do I need to polarize the system
Polarizing is for the DC generator charging systems so you don't need to worry about that.

Quote:
also when we change the voltage reulator insted of using the rubber thing we used a bolts with washers and nuts. Should I have used the rubber things
The points inside the regulator open and close at a very rapid rate and will set up a resonance in the sheet metal where the regulator is mounted. This may create a humming noise you won't be able to find and a radio static buzz. It may also lessen the life of the points themselves because of being solid mounted to the support, so yes you need to isolate the regulator. If you had a solid state regulator it wouldn't matter.

I think the little rubber thingys are called wells plugs or welsh plugs.

When you get ready to put those electric fans in or the halogen headlights or that killer stereo, come on over to the electrical forum and we'll show you how to convert to the 100 amp plus alternators.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
big bad orange

Thanks VetteVet. I should have posted this in the electrical forum but like I said I was in a bad spot at the time, as for a bigger alternator all I need to run is a simple am fm radio (when ever I get one) the wipers,and light.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
SS Tim

Back up and running yet?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Don't forget,there is a hotline for help.It's run by the BB and staffed by whoever is close and can help.Members have been helped in many ways.One military member even had some fellow BB members help with an engine swap and getting him back on the road to keep him from beoing late to his post.
What is this hotline?

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
big bad orange

no,have not had time to work on it due to it being across town. The shop that I had the inspection done at said since they put the first alternator in that they would fix the charging system free of charge due to them not replacing the voltage regulator the first time. Now I have to race it home before the battery dies.