The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
oldcouple

Re: Could you weigh in on how this looks?

I used the blazer tank for years, its the plastic replacement one, never had a problem with it dragging, just changed it out this year for a smaller one because I do not have to drive as far anymore. The rearended your gonna explode thing is the same as you are gonna explode because its behind the seat, which is the same as the you are gonna explode because its a saddle tank. There are risks everywhere.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #27
Oklahoma_k5

Just to give anyone interested what a plastic tank from a 2002 s10 looks like in a 52. My frame is stock width and taper until just behind the cab where it goes parallel. Height is the where mine is significantly different. Rather than c notching over the rear axle my frame kicks up higher. I plan to raise the bed floor to be level over the new higher frame. The pump connections should have about 1/2 clearance under the bed floor once it is raised approximately two inches.
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
PurdueSD

k5 that saddle tank looks like a great setup! The stock frame has its main cross member right behind the cab that really limits a saddle tank.

I think ive settled on a $60 late 80s s10 blazer tank from rock auto. Its much shallower and smaller. ( 33x23x10 )The blazers had 4.3 tbi motors so the tank should work great with my 350tbi.

Thanks for all of the advice and help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #29
mr48chev

I've got pretty much that same tank that came out of a 77 Blazer that I was planning on using on my 48. I figure I'll have to put in a rectangular tube crossmember about and inch from the back of the frame and remove the stock crossmember.
I've got an aluminum tank that was intended to be an auxiliary tank on the Ford conversion van my mom had. I made a rack for it that holds it up between the frame rails and it just clears the bottom of the bed.

I'm not sure where I am going to run the filler neck but it isn't going to come up though the bottom of the bed again as that is a real pain to contend with if you have anything including law chairs and duffel bags in the back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
PurdueSD

Ya, the spare tire crosmember will have to go. I'm planning on boxing a portion of the frame, placing a 2x4 tube in the rear and running some angle gussets. I'm gunna stick with the bed fill i guess, unless i can find a better alternative when i get the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
agnes the dog

Not sure if you already have a hitch. I live just northeast of Indy and have one if you're interested. It came off of my 59 and I have no plans to use it. PM me if you have any interest or need.... JJ
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote