The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: What's a good price, complete rear end, posi

I bought a rarer than hens teeth 6-lug coil Dana 60 3.54:1 posi for $850 because it was totally rebuilt drum to drum (shiny black,too). I'd just buy an Auburn Gear posi and install it in the rear you have,and go over anything else it needs while you're at it. You'll probably have that $800 spent right there

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #27
Hawghauler

I have to say, rather than paying $800 for an unknown un-rebuilt rear end, I'd pay a shop to rebuild mine and add a limited slip to it. Shouldn't be too much more cost wise, and the difference is worth the dependability and the warrantee. Not to mention getting it sooner without having to transport it. I don't know about you, but driving 250 miles in my truck would buy the average rear end with the gas money spent. These coil rear ends aren't common, so you may have to wait a while to find exactly the one you want, and you very likely will have to spend money on what you do find.
I would offer him $250 for it, stating that it needs to have money spent to refresh it, that you are going to have to transport it, and wait for him to cave. If he doesn't and someone buys it, well there are plenty of fools with their money going separate ways. I don't recommend you be one of them. Give him a couple of weeks of no buyers, and he'll probably cave. In the end, no used coil c10 rear end is worth $500.
Good luck.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
There is a whole lot more to it than most people think...reading the manual sounds easy, but most guys run out of patience before it is perfect. Pressing the bearings off-on, more than once gets old, especially if something slips and you ruin one.
I have rebuilt quite a few that the owner "tried" to do himself, all because they got it "close" ....and close is not good enough. If you run it "close", it is destroyed, and you start over from square one.
Pay a professional, get a warranty......priceless
I completely agree. I'm all for doing things yourself (see my truck, mustang, and house remodel threads in my signature) but there are two things that I will never attempt to rebuild. An automatic transmission and a GM rear axle (a lot of the old fords, and maybe newer? the whole third member is swappable!) It's way too easy to screw up and it really doesn't cost that much to have someone do it right, then if THEY did screw up, you have a warranty for THEM to do it again, instead of you having to pay for the parts again AND pay someone to do it the second time!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote