The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #1
BOE

Arrow tail lights

i just bought a 64 c10 as a first time attempt at restoration. the bed is off another truck so there is no wiring running to the tail lights. the housings are still in place. there is only one hole for the socket. can i get tail lights, brake lights and turn signals from one bulb or does this model not have brake lights?any info would be appreciated
thanks BOE
BOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
1963c-10

Re: tail lights

Any pics of what your working with? Stepside or fleet?

The stepsides had external brackets that held the taillights. Fleetsides were sunk into the ends of the beds.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
rickywideglide

bulbs are dual filament so you should be able to do all functions
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
BOE

forgot to mention it is a fleetside. all i know is the housings on the truck only except one bulb so when i have it rewired i dont know if iwill have all three functions,turn signal,tail lights, and brake lights? I have seen after market housings that take: two bulbs but i don't think they will be a perfect fit.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
BOE

Thumbs up Re: tail lights

thats what i was hoping rickywideglide. thankyou and 63c10 for you input. i am new to this site so i am still learning how to navigate but i am sure i will use it over and over. i don't know a lot about differentials or even tranny's for that matter so I be back
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
1963c-10

One hole for the bulb socket is correct on the fleetside. I can provide some wiring schematics if it'll help some. They use a dual filament bulb as stated above for the brake/turn signals.

Yellow, brown and green wires from the firewall to the rear taillamps. Pretty easy once you have the diagram. The wire harness is plug and play if you have to replace. Easy to install.
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
BOE

Arrow Re: tail lights

thanks 63. there is an electrical shop clos by in denver that is very reasonable and do good work. Electrical is one thing best left to the pro's in my case.
Eventually I will want to find the simplest way to get more speed without giving up too much torque. I have a 292 but haven't identified the tranny yet. I was thinking changing the rear end would be the way. Not really the set up i wanted to restore but need to get my feet wet since i haven't really tore into a project for about thirty years. It's a long bed so don't know how far i will go. Really wanted shotbed but not much to choose from in Denver
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
1963c-10

Rear harness will probably run around $60. Plugs into the firewall, runs down the frame. One side goes passenger, one driver and then the license plate light. Probably a 20 min install.

May be cheaper than the electric shop and really not hard to do. I use American Autowire for all my harnesses.

Link: http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...t-harness-2053
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Mackie

While you're monkeying with the tailights a nice mod is to paint the housings gloss white for reflection (better than silver, fake chrome,etc.). It makes a big improvement to the effectivenss of those lights.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
rickywideglide

another good idea is to add extra ground wire from housing to frame/bed
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
BOE

thanks ricky I have heard a good ground is important for this truck or it will cause problems. I was thinking about doing this myself after 63 sent a picture it looked pretty simple but there are a couple other electrical issues (horn,dome light,wipers) also simple but the shop will go through the hole truck and make sure every thing is right. They already took a look and said all original wiring was good but this way i should never have anything to worry about again.
I found someone had put a toggle switch on the wire to wiper motor and that had me wondering maybe it doesn't always stop blades in the right position?
Thanks ricky and 63 I will let you know and then pick your brains on my mechanical issues.Thats about two months down the road.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
One hole for the bulb socket is correct on the fleetside. I can provide some wiring schematics if it'll help some. They use a dual filament bulb as stated above for the brake/turn signals.

Yellow, brown and green wires from the firewall to the rear taillamps. Pretty easy once you have the diagram. The wire harness is plug and play if you have to replace. Easy to install.
Great schematic. What does the LT BLUE wire at the top go to?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
BOE

thanks ACK already have them
Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
AzCountryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
While you're monkeying with the tailights a nice mod is to paint the housings gloss white for reflection (better than silver, fake chrome,etc.). It makes a big improvement to the effectivenss of those lights.
Hmmmmm first time I have heard of this. Any pictures?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
BOE

I would agree with Mackie on the gloss white. recessed lighting in homes is usually painted gloss white for maximum brightness.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
luvbowties

Smile Re: tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOE View Post
I would agree with Mackie on the gloss white. recessed lighting in homes is usually painted gloss white for maximum brightness.
My 1st hearing of this, but theory surely sounds good. Prolly a good idea to use "high-heat-white" paint, like maybe header paint, to resist heat-flaking: sure it gets plenty warm in there.
I can't use the idea as mine is a stepside, & using stainless-led-replacement mounted in stock location. But I'll remember to suggest to others with wide beds about the improvement.
Thanks for the idea!
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
lmajthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
wont that mess up using the body ground?
lmajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
Mackie

Providing a good supplemental ground is very important too. I connected 14ga to the back of each housing run separately to the frame. Did the same with the license light.

IIRC I used rattle can epoxy white but prepped the snot out of the buckets first. New repop lenses and gaskets and I haven't seen any heat effects to the paint yet in about 2 yrs. use and it's a driver. The lights are bright and stand out way better. I got the idea from a street rod forum I visit. The poster put up the results of an extensive test, with pics, using various bulbs and housing coatings. White was a clear winner.
LED 1157s would maybe be even better...low heat for sure.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote