The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
jaros44sr

Re: what do you guys do for security on your Blazers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
I got me one of them already.
I just joined last month, got a free duffel bag, but no sticker

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #27
Zoomad75
K5Camper

you have to look at it this way, if somebody wants your truck they will do just about anything to get it. anything you do to prevent theft is only buying time. My buddy had his dad's lifted 76 Ford truck stolen right from in front of his house. (nice truck even though it was a ford) Guess what they did? They popped the slider window in the back, reached forward and pulled the 4 speed into neutral and let it coast down the street to a waiting truck to pull it away.

A Removeable steering wheel, club, battery disconnect, kill switch or other device wouldn't have stopped that truck from being stolen. Other than boxing it in or intalling a boot on the wheel not much else would have stopped them.

Lock up what you can, don't leave anything out in the open and don't invite trouble by annoucing the fact that you have a kickin stereo a few blocks from your house.

Then again, you could drive a rolling symbol to keep your tetanus shot kept up. ugly trucks don't get broken into as much. That and the fact that mine is a 4-speed and most thug kids lack the knowledge to drive a stick.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #28
72LoBurb
Yup, I'm comp-useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Park it as conspicuously as possible- right up front where everyone can see it. Also, maybe not for the 4wd guys, but I let all the air out of the supension and lock the switch box. Can't even tow it away then...
It may not be easy, but it could be towed, especially if they aren't worried about minor damage to a bumper or other easily replaced parts. It's amazing what a creative mind can achieve with a decent wrecker and good equipment.
72LoBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #29
Ochre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
I just took the engine out of mine for a year and a half and never had any trouble with anyone trying to take it.
Pfft, only a year and a half? At the rate I'm going they'll NEVER be able to steal my truck!
Ochre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #30
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

b/c of the battery drain I have to pull the (-) cable off when I get out.. provided they don't see that I don't think hotwiring it would be too fun. I leave the keys in it 1/2 the time

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #31
pete&tom

When I bought my 72 brand new I wanted something to stop someone from steeling it. I was reading an article wrote by a professional thief who said nothing would stop him except a gas shut off put in line between the fuel pump and the carburetor. The idea is that if he gets the truck started and takes off with it when the gas in the carburetor runs out he said he will be in the middle of the road stooping traffic and he was not going to hang around to find out what is wrong. IT WORKS just make sure the switch is hidden but handy a couple of times I forgot to turn it on and guess what. I used an electric shut off for a boat and here it is some 35 years later and it is still working. Hope this helps
Pete
pete&tom is offline   Reply With Quote