The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #26
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Shock Relocation

Thanks I will install the bar and see what happens then.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #27
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I thought your trailing arm was twisted but it appears to be ok in that rear pic.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #28
BowTieOgre

Mine dont look like that but I have an ECE trailing arm xmem...that have anything to do with it?

Did I put my shocks on upside down????
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #29
Shock_Me

VDOG,
The first thing I notice on your upper mount problem is the bolts are definitely longer than the bolts on PunkRock's truck. I didn't get a chance to look at our set-up last night, but I will tonight, and I'll post some pics.

Bowtieogre,
Yes, I think your shocks are upside down

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #30
Robznob11

the factory one is too long if your lowered and they sell one at cpp for 59.00 that is shorter, but it will eventually bend your pumpkin on your rear under heavy loads. thats why i went with the delux trac bar that is adjustable and also mounts from the frame to the trailing arm, alot better geomitry.
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #31
Robznob11

try flipping your shocks over like the pic above

LED TAILS
Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #32
BigTruckDriver

If the top of the shock is mounted in the right location then maybe, just maybe, the lower bracket is was not made to the correct angle? You know they did not bend it enough to get the proper angle.
BigTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #33
BigTruckDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTieOgre View Post
Mine dont look like that but I have an ECE trailing arm xmem...that have anything to do with it?

Did I put my shocks on upside down????
Not really I have seen this done on some performance set ups. Its done to reduce weight on your working suspension. You would have to put a sock on it though to protect the shaft from damage from dirt and debris. On these trucks though its is normally the other way.
BigTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #34
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
i went with the delux trac bar that is adjustable and also mounts from the frame to the trailing arm, alot better geomitry.
I have the new deluxe adjustable trac bar, just have not installed it yet. When doing these setups, there is no instructions on what should be done first. The instructions are on a part to part basis.

Took this picture to show the trac bar to a member here, its not mounted, but looking at the picture, I think I need to switch it around.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #35
Robznob11

thats not the delux trac bar kit, thats the short one, the delux track bar kit goes from the frame to the trailing arm right behind the shock mount...

LED TAILS
Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #36
Hart_Rod

Quote:
thats not the delux trac bar kit, thats the short one, the delux track bar kit goes from the frame to the trailing arm right behind the shock mount...
I think it's a CPP "deluxe" track bar kit, not ECE.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-27-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #37
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I think it's a CPP "deluxe" track bar kit, not ECE.
You are right, its the CPP trackbar.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #38
SCOTI

The CPP 'Delux' bar also goes all the way to the pass side trailing arm.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #39
Robznob11

easy to figure out 59.99= adjustable stock location replacement and is about 33" long give or take a little, delux = 109.00 and comes with new brackets and spacer for un affected trailing arm side and is longer than 33 although im not sure of the length, you can go to cpp web site and see the two...good luck and ps im sorry your stuck with that short one if your lowered more than 4 inches in the back you will bend the loop in the pumpkin eventually...

LED TAILS
Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #40
SCOTI

Quote:
...good luck and ps im sorry your stuck with that short one if your lowered more than 4 inches in the back you will bend the loop in the pumpkin eventually...
I used the CPP 'short' adjustable bar on my bagged 68 that was dropped w/bags & 1.5" blocks. I dropped this truck in 2000 & the bar & rear end cover are both still just fine.

Yes, they come close (close enough that there's evidence of paint being rubbed off on the cover)...... but there has not been any contact that has caused any notable damage.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #41
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

This is CPP's response to my shock questions and pictures. Does it make sense to you guys? Looking at other shocks, I think the outer washers should be bigger. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Ok on the upper mount flip the bolt over so the head comes through the bottom and nuts at the top.On the lower if you space that shock out you can perfect that geometry.Try using an actual shock stud which spaces that shock away from the relocator and it will make this perfect.If you need any other help dont hesitate to ask.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #42
vfrdude

I think it should fit with the hardware they gave you. If it was me, I would buy the ECE relocator kit. It's the one I used, and as the others have showed, there are no issues with the fit at all.

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #43
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrdude View Post
I think it should fit with the hardware they gave you. If it was me, I would buy the ECE relocator kit. It's the one I used, and as the others have showed, there are no issues with the fit at all.

I just might have to buy from ECE if this does not work. Not ready to spend 60 more dollars if I dont have too. Still have that rearend problem with the broken bolt. So I might have to buy a new one. Money is getting thin.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #44
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
I just might have to buy from ECE if this does not work. Not ready to spend 60 more dollars if I dont have too. Still have that rearend problem with the broken bolt. So I might have to buy a new one. Money is getting thin.
Re-use your original brackets.... it's free. Swap the lower brackets from side to side. They will require some flattening to tighten flush w/the trailing arm (it's nothing a med hammer & heat or a BFH & effort can't accomplish).

You can trim the top factory brackets or use the ones you got w/your CPP kit. If you trim the stock ones, just relocate the shocks bolt hole higher up on the bracket & 'shave' off any material on the bracket that interferes w/the shock 'eye'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #45
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Re-use your original brackets.... it's free. Swap the lower brackets from side to side. They will require some flattening to tighten flush w/the trailing arm (it's nothing a med hammer & heat or a BFH & effort can't accomplish).

You can trim the top factory brackets or use the ones you got w/your CPP kit. If you trim the stock ones, just relocate the shocks bolt hole higher up on the bracket & 'shave' off any material on the bracket that interferes w/the shock 'eye'.

Im really going to need a picture of what your saying.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #46
71tahoe

I have both ECE and CPP shock relocater kits. ECE for my truck and CPP for my son's. The upper and lower brackets appear to be exactly alike. I'll check Friday when I can put them side by side. I think my son even has the ECE uppers and CPP lowers on the truck he is building and I haven't seen any problems. Pictures Friday if I can post them.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #47
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
I have both ECE and CPP shock relocater kits. ECE for my truck and CPP for my son's. The upper and lower brackets appear to be exactly alike. I'll check Friday when I can put them side by side. I think my son even has the ECE uppers and CPP lowers on the truck he is building and I haven't seen any problems. Pictures Friday if I can post them.

Thanks I look forward to seeing them. Something else I notice about the CPP shocks, the metal tube that goes into the shock hole, once inserted, the bolt will not fit. They give you a few different sizes. The ones that go into the bottom shock hole fits with a bolt, not the top.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #48
71tahoe

OK, I was only half right (faulty memory). ECE totally on the truck. Shock studs, no bolts/spacers.
Name:  ECE.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  50.3 KB
Differences:
Name:  uppper compare.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  30.6 KB
Not even close!
Name:  IMG_0954.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  34.7 KB
I'm impressed you actually got the shock attached to the CPP kit. I tried and failed, and failed and ... gave up. I got it parallel at about 2 1/4". I don't think a spacer that long is an option (someone else chime in on that one). The only other thing I can think of besides buying ECE and praying you can get your money back from CPP (Looks like I'm in the same boat) is drill 2 more holes 2" closer to the frame rail but that looks WAY too close to the spring/bag. Shock on CPP (wasn't worth a picture of lower):
Name:  IMG_0955.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  39.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0956.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  31.6 KB
You might get it a little better at 1 1/2" and still have clearance but I'd be afraid to drive it with bags. Try putting a shock stud in the lower bracket and then see where/if the shock clears and the upper mount holes hit the flanges on the support. Measure, cycle suspension, measure, cycle, measure and the you'll still probably have to call ECE.

Cliff
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #49
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
OK, I was only half right (faulty memory). ECE totally on the truck. Shock studs, no bolts/spacers.
Cliff

I think the shock spacers on first picture is what I need at the bottom of the shock. CPP shocks have very small washers so there is nothing to stop the shock bushing from moving.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #50
71tahoe

You may need to have assemble one with a 2 1/2" shoulder or at that angle the bigger washer may hit the shock before it gets tight. A 1/2"x5" grade 8 bolt through a 2 1/2" long spacer might work but I wouldn't guarantee it would last very long. No cut-off pipe. You would want the hole just big enough for the bolt to go through and 90deg ends. This is not my recommendation but just some thoughts. Maybe it will spark an idea from someone else.
Name:  spacer.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  18.6 KB
Also you will probably need an insert for the lower eye of the shock to give the washer a shoulder to tighten against.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 05-04-2007 at 04:24 PM.