The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #26
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

For deeppurple's consideration:
I have got out and stopped fights, and arguments. I don't need to sound tough on this board. I haven't met anyone from this board. My "halo" is very bright, and certainly not shiny enough to blind me or anyone else.
It also must be nice having more dollars than sense. You must have never been broke, much less poor. I don't agree with uninsured people driving, period, period! But the same could be said for someone trying to do the right thing and work, and provide for a family. They need money for shelter, food, clothing, and a way to get to thier job to provide for that, and sometime public transportation ain't good enough. I have a different perspective.
Last time:
I misunderstood MTDAVE2, plain and simple. I am big enough to admit that. Women and children seem to have little control in/after traumatic situations of their emotions. I have been abused by renters, similar to the uninsured driver, if not potentially worse. Outside of that I don't think I need to justify anything else. Maybe this thread should go away...
Stingray,
Canada has a government insurance program. Much easier to regulate uninsured motorists. I think we need to look into it.
been kind of fun though.... Interesting none the less...
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com

Last edited by Jmac05; 10-01-2002 at 12:22 PM.
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 PM   #27
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i know where you were comming from. i have had people over react on me. they really need some help. you just thought i was acting like that... so hats off to you for stepping up and saying i was wrong (if i had done that)

as far as stopping and getting in the middle of arguments, you are asking to get shot or beat up. but, every situation is differant. i would step in for some things and not even think of it in others.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:50 PM   #28
smitty62

Jmac--my wife and kids are just fine--I appreciate your concern. If she were home I'm sure she would, after reading your religious diatribe, express herself in much stronger language than I have. She has zero patience with people that won't accept reponsibility and/or use the bible to defend their arguments.
If you don't understand that many women use tears as a weapon, perhaps you can get your wife/significant other/mother to explain it to you.
BTW--have you ever asked your insurance rep what uninsured motorists cost you every day in premiums?
I do hope that none of your family are ever seriously injured by one of those irresponsible cretins (look it up).

MtDave---right on!!!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:11 PM   #29
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmac05
I have been abused by renters, similar to the uninsured driver, if not potentially worse.
Deadbeat renters don't even come close to an uninsured driver. What happens if you get killed by one, and your wife and kids are left to fend for herself the rest of her life? Who pays the funeral bill, and takes care of your family when you are gone? Sorry, I just can't believe how anything righteous can come from driving uninsured.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:27 PM   #30
COBALT

Wow. I'm impressed that you guys were able to discuss this out without having blow apart.

Here's something else to think about. I knew this girl in highschool that had several accidents. Her dad just kept either repairing the car or buying her a new one. Her insurance was nonexistent, so I asked her one time how she gets away with not having insurance, and having so many accidents. Her reply was that she usually can talk/cry her way away out of it without having to either wait for the police or swap insurance info.

Unbelievable isn't it? In her mind she thought she was pretty clever. I thought she was a thug, and a danger to everyone on the road. People like this exist believe it or not.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:34 PM   #31
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

OK guys lets not turn this into a fight. he said he misunderstood.

i guess the whole meaning to this post was I CANT BELIEVE SOMEONE RAN INTO MY LONGHORN! ughhhhhhhghghg! that my biggest fear. im really thankful that she (the longhorn) didn't get damaged. as well as no one got hurt.

and the 2nd point. people w/o insurance need to be put in jail. if i ever win the loto i thing my lifes mission would be making the roadways safer. this includes.harder tests for license, big time, and i mean big penalties for due, reckless driving, driving w/o license or insurance.

id have no mercy. they should be taken right to jail for at least a month, loose their car (don't care if they are just borrowing it) and loss of license for a year. for any of those offenses. as well as making them ride with ambulance drivers and highway patrol. get them up close to the senseless carnage.

they do it again? add at least 1 year in jail + bigger fines.

driving has become a joke to most people. they road race, drive like morons., fix their makeup and about everything you can think of. would they be so reckless with a gun? there is no difference.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #32
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

No fighting here Dave, we're all friends. Just giving some insight. I too am glad that nobody was hurt.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:06 PM   #33
Jmac05

a new can...

lemme get my can opener...
let's see, 6" nightcrawlers...
Ok, what about drunk drivers?
My opinion:
A. First offense lose license + 1 month Jail
B. 2nd offense no license for 5 yrs + 1 yr in jail *5 yr no lisc. starts AFTER 1 yr in jail.
C. 3rd offense no license ever again + 10 yrs in jail.
D. Crash while DUI > attempted murder. Mandatory 20 yrs to life.
E. Crash while DUI + Fatality... What do you think?!
Sobriety check points would be obsolete.

P.S. regardless of atheistic views or personal preferences, I am not having any hard feelings towards anyone. I think traffic laws and judges who enforce them need to be much tougher.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Old 10-01-2002, 02:10 PM   #34
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

right on brother!
Old 10-01-2002, 02:13 PM   #35
Jmac05

trailer hitch

Has anyone else been pulled over for "having the trailer hitch ball obstructing the liscense plate?" I did the other morning. It's the second time It's been the "reason" for me being pulled over. It isn't the reason he wanted to stop me, but it's what he said.
MTDAVE2 What's with the chicken? It's funny! My avatar is why I don't go into the ocean, eventhough I live less than 45 minutes from it.
BTW, I don't have a problem with people useing the good book to justify their actions. I have a problem when they twist and turn it to make it say what they want it to, to justify their decisions. Everyone should be able to justify what they say or do. What they justify it with is what makes them who they are.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com

Last edited by Jmac05; 10-01-2002 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #36
Southpa

I got rear ended a few years ago. Some girl in a little Plymouth Horizon wasn't watching things I guess. All I felt was a little nudge, looked in the rearview mirror and saw her coming out of her car. No discernable damage to my truck but her front corner, headlight, signal light cover was all mashed in. I asked if she was ok, then asked if there was anything she wanted to do about it. She was ok, and didn't want insurance involved, although she DID have insurance. I said no problemo, have a nice day. I guess her punishment is having to spend money to get her car repaired. Signal light covers for those little buggers can run about $400 Cdn.

Its no big deal, the more insurance is involved in minor accidents the more our rates go up. Especially when it deals with those expensive foreign cars like Jags, Porsche, Mercedes. Fixing a dented fender on a XJ-8 can cost like 3G.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #37
68gmcjon
Got earplugs?

People who drive without insurance are just the people that need it. They are stupid enough to drive without it and then get into an accident from not watching the road or screwing around.
396 bored to 402, Dynomax cerama-coat headers, Super 40 Flowmasters, 272/284 Crane cam, Crane gold roller rockers, holley 750 cfm double pumper, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, HEI ignition, 9.5:compression
Alltogether 411HP and 446ft/lbs

Dana 60 w/ 3.54 gears
Turbo 400 tranny

Why would you have anything other than a big block? HAHA
68gmcjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:20 PM   #38
6869704X4

Was she a babe? Did you ask her out?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #39
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I still remember my mom t-boning a guy who ran a stop sign at 70 mph. She was in a one month old 68 Dodge Polara, he was in a Falcon wagon. He had no insurance and filed for bankruptcy. Our insurance paid for the Polara, less the deductible. Health insurance paid for hospitalization, and we got a whole $600 out of the guy. And mom is still living with the pain from multiple fractures in her spine.

That lady was lucky to just get an ass-chewing. I would have called the cops and if they hadn't written her up for driving without insurance, I would have had a visit with the local prosecutor at the least. And her kid probably only started crying because she was shedding crocodile tears.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:15 PM   #40
Blue_71
Bloo

i think mtdave did the right thing, and even though i hate to see girls/women cry, she was probably just scared..
btw-- for getting rear-ended, thats why you need a 4x4 my dad was parked at work one night, and the guy parked behind him was on a slight hill and left his car in nuetral.. when they come out of work the next day the mustang was up under my dads bumper, never touched the truck. of course the bolt from the ball on the bumper kind of screwed up the mustangs hood, and it lodged the clevis hook up under the bumper

on un-insured drivers, a member of my family has been driving without insurance for months now... he got caught, had to go to court.. they gave him a month to get insurance. his wife got caught, another month to get it, he got caught again, another month to get it.. they still dont have any.. he is halfway responsible though, he got in a wreck once with no insurance, and he worked his butt off to pay for the other guys car.
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:01 PM   #41
68 Stepside
huh?

I've never had to deal with an un-insured motorist. But I'm sure it's a huge pain in the rear. I have had to deal with a hit and run. I walked out to my car one night after work, and found the rear end 4 feet farther right than it should have been. Someone hit her hard....

It's people like those stated above, that make insurance rates higher for good drivers. Just out of sheer curiosity, what are the insurance laws in your state? I know in Illinois, if you don't have proof of insurance, all you have to do, is show up to court and present a valid insurance card to the judge. So in theory, you would only have to get a policy for that one day, and you could cancel it right away. Kind of messed up...

T
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:43 PM   #42
Southpa

Hey TJ, good ta see ya! In BC if you are stopped for any reason and can't provide the right papers, you are definitely NOT getting back in that car. Your car will be towed and impounded and I'm sure there is a fine involved. They don't take it lightly here. Getting insurance IS NOT an option.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:52 PM   #43
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I live in Missouri. My step brother got pulled over, and for some reason he didn't have a insurance card with him. The cop gave him a ticket for not having any insurance. When his muninicpal court date came around, he brought his insurance card and got out of the ticket. So, you could just get insurance for one day and drive around without, in Missouri anyway..........
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:27 PM   #44
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Dave, you want the bad news? 33% of Texans are uninsured. Bummer huh?
Even though it is state law...
even though you need it to renew your tags every year...
even though you need it for your annual inspection...
Still, even with all that, there are over 6 million uninsured drivers in the lone star state...NOT counting the illegals.
That is why on a minimum coverage ins policy, adding uninsured motorist will almost double your monthly bill.
Dave, huge bummer on your truck, at least it didn't end up like my blue Longhorn.
I keep my class 4 hitch on the back of my truck at all times. No one is getting there bumper to my rear axle.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:50 PM   #45
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Yep, here it's no insurance, no driving! YET, as mentioned above, there are people driving around with expired ins. decals. I have accidentally done it myself once, for two friggin weeks! I just about crapped my pants when I realized what had happened! haha. The funny thing was, I went through a road block (police) and they never noticed either, pheew!!

I was almost in a wicked accident a few months ago. I was sitting at a red light, in a four way intersection, and on my right, I saw this loaded tractor trailer barreling down the road. It was dark, and pissin rain that night, so things were miserable out. When the light turned green for me, I had this gut feeling to not pull out, and keep going down the road. Sure as hell, that loaded tractor trailer tried to brake at the last second, I guess not paying attention to his RED LIGHT, and slid right through the intersection, and would have crushed my stupid little car into a ball if I had started to drive on my GREEN LIGHT! Thought these truckers were supposed to be professional? BTW, there's flashing lamps back a KM before the traffic lights, to let you know the light's about to change. Guess the trucker missed those too?
Old 10-01-2002, 11:47 PM   #46
busterwivell

Well, you want to talk about DUIs? Memorial Day Weekend...Saturday....we go to the circle track with our adult daughter...........I love beer but wait till I get home........we leave the track and head home which is about 30 miles...get no more than two miles.............and Drunk of the Week cuts someone off in front of me , hits the shoulder, carreens across the road, bounces into the ditch, and the catillitic (sp) convertor catches the brush on fire! Remember how dry the Southwest was this year with fires?

This A$$hole tries to fight everybody, convince us to let him go, swear he was a passenger, and try to get back in to a completely engulfed in flames van to get his keys!

I stuck around, directed traffic till the fire dept, paramedics, and sherrifs show up. I fill out a report, stating what I saw, and go home. Probably waste an hour and a half or two hours.

Now I'm getting mail from the Public Defender's Office. They want to interview me! Like my report wasn't good enough?

See a problem here?
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:02 AM   #47
Low68

I was rearended last year in my dad's 01 Chevy truck. It is lowered 4-6, and has a hitch that sticks down below the bumper. I was sitting at a light and everything was cool. The light turned green and everyone started to go. There was some one a few cars ahead turning right that had to stop for some one in the cross walk. Everybody but the lady behind me stopped. I was mad. My dad was ticked enought about the way that I drove his truck, but then I got into an accident. So we pull over, and I walk around the back expecting to see some damage. I don't see anything. So I go look at her car, and I see this huge white square in her red plastic bumper. Crappy plastic cars. No damage to my dad's truck, so we didn't call the cops.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:04 AM   #48
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I can't talk too loud about this though, back in the late 80's I rear-ended a couple of people, the first in the middle of London, at a pedestrian crossing, I fairly gently hit the back of a minibus full of disabled children, nobody was hurt apart from me, no seatbelt on headbutted the half down sunvisor and nearly busted my nose, serves me right! Rammed the radiator back into the fan, steam everywhere, tow job home.

The second was into the the back of a large water company van at about 30 MPH (not sure exactly as all wheels locked up, speedo doesn't register when you're drifting!), no injuries except for my ass when I called the office. Both times was when I worked for an Office Furniture company and was driving over 1000 miles each week in and around London (evil traffic) We were expected to have two accidents a year. Both times were my fault, too close and not paying enough attention. The plus side was both times it was in a F@rd Transit van! (The only F@rd I've ever driven!!)

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:04 AM   #49
Gene

mtdave2 you were absolutely right to have reacted the way you did. I had an experience with an uninsured driver ramming into my first truck, a 1970 custom longbed(my pride and joy) she almost ripped the front end clean off of the truck, she got out and begged me not to call the cops because she didnt have insurance, but assured me that she had the money to repair my truck! I said what? You have a couple of thousand laying around but you cant afford insurance??? Long story short, I followed her to her house made her let me come in and I told her that she was gonna give me some collatteral to hang on to until my truck was repaired. Her husband had quite a gun collection so I held on to it. He wasnt happy about that so my truck was good as new in under a week......

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:03 AM   #50
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

yikes gene! that would have sucked.....

one thing though,,,,,,,,,, you went into the womans house? by yourself? just you and her? mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaan
not a good move. she could have said, either you drop everything, or she is going to say you tried to rape her.
you would have been screwed.

you have to be really carefull now a days.

at least it worked out ok. you are lucky. i would never not call the police when i had damage to my truck. even it was bill gates that hit me. im getting the police so you are covered. she could have said the wreck never happend. or didnt happen like it did. you would have had no proof.

does it sound like i have been screwed alot? lol, hard lessons learned....

Last edited by mtdave2; 10-02-2002 at 10:10 AM.