The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2002, 10:19 AM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

a woman rear ended my longhorn!

its ok. all it did was scratch the paint and really piss me off. i was stetting at a stop light. saw the lady comming up from behind, (i always watch this stuff, has saved me many times). i saw this lady slowing down, so i didnt think anything of it. next thing i know.. bam! i though wtf was that?

in the rear veiw mirror i saw her shifting in rev. and backing up. i said out loud in disbeleife..that b%%ch hit my truck!

i got out and walked to the end of the truck. seeing the damage on her car, broken head lights, screwd up grill, i though so much for my mint tailgate.

when i looked, i didnt see a darn thing. i looked again, no dents! then i looked for scratches, found 3 small ones. then i looked under the bumper for it beeing pushed back.. nota...i smiled to myself thinking this thing is a tank!

by this time the lady was out of her car and walking toword me saying, ooooooooooohh geeez... i dont have insureance.. this set me off. but first i looked up at her car and saw the kid. i asked is everyone ok? she said yes. then i let her have it.

i cant remeber ever giving such an ass chewing before. no insurance? what if you had totaled my truck? what if you had killed me, .... i kept going .. she was in tears by this time.

i noticed the trafic and told her to pull off into this gasstation. (looking at her plate incase she ran.) she didnt, so i checked all my lights, all the time chewin this ladys ass and trying to decide if i wanted to call the police.

by this time her and her 7 ot 8 year old son were crying. im a softy i guess but i told her to get insurance and be more care full, next time you might not be as lucky.

so guess i need a can of spray paint. maybe i should have had her pay for that! lol

here is to the good old strong trucks that we all love =)
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:30 AM   #2
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

Dude,
Calm down!
There's a reason they are called accidents! Once you saw your truck was easily repairable, you should have been alot more understanding. Get a friggin' grip! She's the one who's out now. If she has no insurance she's responsible for fixing her car, and if you decide to sue her, she's fully responsible for what ever the judge awards. I want to criticize everyone behind the wheel, I have been rear-ended, and as soon as I got out the guy who hit me got scared. He was appologizing like a mad man, and worried I was going to take him out myself. I was completely understanding and let him know accidents happen, even before I asked if he had insurance.
If you brought her and her little boy to tears, you need to check yourself. Had I been in traffic and saw this, I would have stopped and let you have it. There's no reason for bringing her to tears, nor her little boy. What did he do to deserve it?
Do you know her story? Maybe she can't afford insurance. Maybe she'd divorced/separated/widowed.
You can say I am a wuss or whatever you want, but there are so many more things in this world to have a coniption fit over. Next time exercise some patience. It may be someone who has a gun or something.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com

Last edited by Jmac05; 10-01-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i f you can afford insurance you can afford to drive. stay of the road, period.

now i wasn't yelling, didn't raise my voice, there was no psychical threat at all. i wasn't rating mad man. i didn't do anything but chew her ass. and she deserved it. not for the accident, we all make mistakes. i was chewing her ass for no insurance. if she had had insurance, no major deal.

as far a suing.. have you ever tried that? good luck. i have done this route, you always get screwed and they never pay.

you must have never been screwed before by someone with out insurance.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

i woulda gotten pissed too... 30 year old truck and some moron not watching what he/she is doin are a bad combination... I watch the back too when i'm stopping cuz people just dont brake enough in my opinion. If someone hit my truck, even if it didnt do any damage, I'd be very upset, ESPECIALLY since she didnt have insurance, and because there is a child in her car crying... She should have been paying extra attention because she had a child in that car... Alot of people are way to irresponsible to be driving

(As you can tell, society has burned me or someone close to me quite a few times.) =P
Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
jku72

I see nothing wrong with an chewing out of the woman in this case. If everybody is soft and accomodating, she wont learn until it is too late. Better a chewing out that any real action. An accident is an accident, but whatever her situation, she has a responsibility to others on the road to pay attention and maintain insurance.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #6
smitty62

Her tears and her child's were HER responsibility. If you can't afford insurance--don't drive--it's that simple.

Her financial position was NOT mtdave's problem! As he said, he didn't chew her out for the accident, but for the stupidity of driving without insurance.

This simple-minded liberal left-wing attitude of no one being responsible for their own actions is ruining this country!!

Suing is NOT the answer as it only makes the lawyers richer!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:26 AM   #7
Jmac05

Did I say she wasn't responsible? Did I say She wasn't at fault? Did I say she would be absolved from being responsible for anything that was connected to the accident? If you think that's what I said, you need to check out a website:
www.hooked-on-phonics.com
I am saying that he didn't need to bring her to tears. Has anyone who thinks I am being "too liberal" ever not been at fault in an accident?
John 8:7 (So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. )
What if you made a mistake, and your little boy is with you, and he begins crying because of someone's beratement of you.
My views on driving without insurance is simple. Don't do it. I think she should be held accountable, period.
Simple-minded should not be confused with compassion, or mercy, Smitty62. I feel bad for your kids/wife. What kind of abuse do your kids suffer at your hands because they made a mistake?
If I had my way, she'd be barred from driving for a year. If she violated it, six months in jail. Is that liberal mined, or left-winged? If you think so, I don't want to live in the state you are governor of.
Not having mercy is a dangerous thing. Apparently I am amongst some perfect human beings. I don't decry holding one to their responsibility, murder is murder, and the life of a murder should be required of them. That's a different topic.
All I was saying is I didn't think MTDAVE2 was justified in bringing the woman, and her little boy to tears. If someone did that to my wife/sister/mother after my deputy brother gave them a ticket every day for a week for the next month, they'd answer to God. That's the worst part of it. Some of you need to add a little compassion and PATIENCE. Patience isn't the absence of anger, or responsibility, or forgiving them on the spot, it means controlling you response, and thinking before you act.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #8
busterwivell

JMac, I don't think you'll find much agreemant with your opinion here. I agree with the others, if you can't afford insurance, don't drive. Suppose she had done damage and caused injuries. What then?
I don't buy insurance because I'm going to go out and hit someone, but it could happen accidently. I don't think it isd at all right the way it is set up today. I have to pay for uninsured motorist coverage, so I'm already paying for somebody else's insurance. If I have to file a claim for damage against the uninsured motorist's portion of my policy, MY premiums go UP!
I don't understand how so many people can get away without insurance. When I switched companies, I got a letter from MVD on every one of my five vehicles, demanding proof or forfiet plates and registration.
Yet people all over drive without insurance!
And, I heard from my brother-in-law in California, they want to give licenses to illegals? What's up with that?
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

did it ever occur to you that she started crying just because????

When I had rear-ended a 20 something girl in my pos car and did nothing to her mini truck but dent the bumper. SHE started crying. I had asked her if she was alright and she started crying because she knew what its like to be without a vehicle she said. And I was now without one... =P I told her not to worry about me and my car cuz it was my fault. She calmed down and the police came, checked the damage and let us go our seperate ways after handing me the ticket for failure to control speed... After this incident was when I decided that it is better safe than sorry. Plus this accident got me my 69 GMC truck... =P

She might have even been crying because he pointed out the obvious, She was driving without insurance, and she knows thats wrong. If I'd done stupid like that, I'd start crying. She deserved to be chewed out. if she came to tears, its probably cuz she knew she messed up.

7 to 8 yr olds cry for no reason too...

Last edited by Narkoleptik; 10-01-2002 at 11:44 AM.
Narkoleptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:38 AM   #10
busterwivell

OK, so.......if my wife runs into your truck and starts to cry, is it your fault? BTW, she's insured.
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:39 AM   #11
Jmac05

I believe the "liscensed illegals" is just that. A way to watch illegals, and atleast try and get them into the DMV to learn the rules. I was there last week, and EVERY sign and booklet is in two languages.
BTW, I haven't been hit by someone without insurance, but I have been dealt poorly by renters who have rented a house from me. I know what it's like to be "screwed" by someone. But, would it do me ANY good to chew them out? If it makes me feel better to do so, I have a problem. They have a judgement against them, and that's fine with me. Their credit is screwed for the next 10 years.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:42 AM   #12
Jmac05

Women cry for no reason. I understand that, I, as a married man accept that. When the little boy cries because his mom is being berrated by some man whom they don't know, that's when I have an issue.
Regardless. I don't care if anyone agrees with me or, even sees my point of view. What I am saying is I wouldn't do it. I am trying to be more patient, see definition above.^
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:46 AM   #13
busterwivell

OK, we'll carry it a step further. My friend was hit in his 442. Damage was done. My friend got out of the car and the guy drove away. The vehicle had a sticker in the window, it had just been registered the day before. My friend called police and told them he was following the guy. They all arrived at the guy's home together. He had no license, no insurance and DMV registered the car anyway. The police said there was nothing they could do! They gave him a report number and told him to call his insurance company!
How about take the guy's car away so he can't do it to someone else later? Is that too terrible?
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 10-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #14
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Angry

MT Dave, sounds like you felt and did exactly like I would have. I too would have been PISSED that she didn't have insurance. I hope you reported her to police. What happens if theres a next time but its worse and you read about it in the papers? Although, I have learned that drivers w/out insurance will just keep driving, regardless of how many cites they get.

Jmac05, I understand your point on this, but the woman should not have been driving-AT ALL. What she needed was to have someone like Dave give her a good yelling. I've met Dave and he's a pretty nice guy, but I wouldn't want to piss him off! I've seen many people get *****ed at by a judge and it doesn't even scare them. What they needed was someone to read them the riot act out back!
I guess I've been hit a couple times by uninsured drivers and this topic is a button with me!!!
As far as quoting scripture...I don't think it belongs on a truck board but remember when Jesus was pissed off at the people selling religious trinkets at the church???? I can only imagine how pissed off He was!!! I'm sure the people were at or near tears! Now back down, theres nothing wrong with a good azz-chewing every once in awhile to someone who deserves it. Theres a time and place for both.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:49 AM   #15
Jmac05

Busterwivel
Not only should they take the punk's car away, he should rot in jail for six months to 2 years depending on the damage. If that's the law, it's the law. He should have at least been arrested for hit and run...
As far as the "religious stuff" It's part of my life, I don't cut it out for any reason. If you want my response to the Jesus in the temple response, I will be happy to. PM me.

I am also not saying MTDAVE is a bad guy either. I don't know him, and am not judging him. I am saying I think he should have showed more restraint for his sake. He's in Texas, they have a concealled weapons permit law. She could have shot him, or the next guy that hits him that doesn't have insurance might.
Yell, holler, scream, berate away. Best of luck! I hope nothing happens to you because you pissed off the wrong guy. Maybe it's different because I live in the freeway shooting/gang shooting capital of the universe.
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com

Last edited by Jmac05; 10-01-2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:57 AM   #16
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

ohhhhh, no theology PLEASE!
Old 10-01-2002, 11:58 AM   #17
DeepPurple
Real Deep...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmac05
Had I been in traffic and saw this, I would have stopped and let you have it.
<rant>

Please.
You would have done what everyone else does and drove on. Don't get vigilante and tough here. Your halo is obstructing your vision.
Did MtDave perhaps overreact just a touch? Yeah he probably did but patting yourself on the back for what you would have done (in the public domain no less) and shoving it down everyone's throat is rather hypocritical.

Quote:
Do you know her story? Maybe she can't afford insurance. Maybe she'd divorced/separated/widowed.
Or maybe she's a fugitive and can't afford to get tangled up in legal proceedings. Maybe she doesn't know how to budget her cash and has never needed the insurance before. Maybe she spends it all on crack. Conjecture is worthless.

Or to put it simply if she has no insurance then she doesn't drive.
To me this is incredibly simple.
Too many people think driving is a right under constitutional law or some such. It isn't so, as the book you get when you're sixteen tells you it's a privelidge, time this woman found that out.

</rant>

P.S. MtDave, better be glad you had a bumper instead of a roll pan. Otherwise you'd really be upset...

1976 GMC K5 Jimmy (Big Blue)
400/TH350
Coming soon to a drive-in near you...

We have done So Much with So Little for So Long..
We are now qualified to do Anything with Nothing.
DeepPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:58 AM   #18
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i understand want Jmac05 is saying. he thought i flew off the handle. that would have been wrong. now why the kid or the woman started crying is unknown to me. maybe they have never seen anyone get the ass chewed.. ? its good for the kid to see. lesson, responibilty.

i did show compassion and PATIENCE by not calling the cops. heck i felt i was being kind!

"They have a judgement against them, and that's fine with me. Their credit is screwed for the next 10 years."

what state do you live in? when you have a small claims jugment, its all but usless.. its up to YOU to try and figure out how to get the money. you are restricted to most personal info...you cant find out where they bank. your just screwed.. their credit isnt touched... heck i still have a 2k jugement ill never collect on.

69 k10 Suburban

Last edited by mtdave2; 10-01-2002 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:00 PM   #19
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

In the UK you cannot drive without insurance by law, minimum of 3rd party that covers damage to other vehicles/people or comprehensive that covers theirs and your own. To prove it each year you have to present your MoT certificate (annual safety inspection) and Insurance Certificate to get your annual license disk for the vehicle which you then have to display in the vehicle windshield.

My insurance in costs me about £300 sterling a year which gives me comprehensive cover but limits me to 7500 miles per year as it is a classic vehicle policy. To insure it unlimited would cost double that. I am 36 years old with a 60 % discount for no claims in the last four years.

People do still drive without insurance but it is a serious offence and will result in you being banned from driving for a period if caught. Any rear end accident is 99% of the time the drivers behind fault, too close, too fast and not paying attention, doing it with kids in the car she deserved to get her ass chewed.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:02 PM   #20
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

I thought you were awfully kind...

its good for the kid to see. lesson, responibilty.

- LOL, plain and simple, i just must say... WORD!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:02 PM   #21
Jmac05

It's possible what I consider yelling, or rear-chewing is different than what everyone else is. When someone "yells" at me, they are in my face, screaming at the top of their lungs like they are a drill sargent. He may have been much more calm, to his credit.
If so power to you, you did behave in a way I would "endorse." Like I have any weight in that...
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Old 10-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #22
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

I was told that in Arizona, you cannot get your liscence without bein insured... Is this true? ofcourse you dont lose your liscence upon not being insured after the fact....

probably just my rents teaching me responsibility? =P

Last edited by Narkoleptik; 10-01-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Narkoleptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #23
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

Yeah, Jmac05

From the beginning I assumed he just lectured her a bit, like I would've. I didn't think he got right up in her face, drill sargent(spelling?) style.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #24
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

again, i didnt yell or raise my voice....

i teach selfdefense and know how not to esculate the situation. if it was a gang looking person or someone i felt was dangerous. i would have staied in my truck and called the cops.

darn ill have to start spell checking this stuff.. sorry guys

oh ya, another thing. im usualy armed myself. and yes, legaly

Last edited by mtdave2; 10-01-2002 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #25
StingRay

All things considered she's LUCKY all that she ended up with is a bent car and an ass chewing. It could have been worse. And for the record NO insurance NO drive. Here in Saskatchewan the insurance comes with the plates. Still lots of people with outdated tags on plates(so no insurance) and no licenses(once again no insurance).