The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #26
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Re: Farewell to Ol' Blue, and to this forum.

uh 67chevemall...the beer is part of the problem that got him here (he is just 18)...lets go with rootbeer or even better DEW.

Last edited by Brock; 12-16-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #27
nightmare

Well, it sounds as if you've really got your mind made up, and there is nothing that anyone can say or do to make you change your mind. It seems that with a part time job though, you have plenty of time to work on the truck. I would suggest to start putting it back together. Even at a piece a day, it will eventually look like a truck again.

Listen, we all make mistakes. It happens, no one is perfect. The only way that people people are successful is by learning from those mistakes, or from others' mistakes. So you've had a couple of misfortunes. It's ok. Things happen. Things will get better. Don't let failure be an option. You'll regret letting something like this go.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Ok guys.... You're likely getting sick of my jumping between giving up and wanting to finish it. But I've come to a decision that will help the entire project.

My main problem has been getting motivated to do the body-work. So instead of doing something I'm sick of trying to do, I'm going to shift my focus to rebuilding my 350. Once I've got the engine built up, THAN I'll get back to the truck. I've been looking at this all wrong, and I think this will be the best way to go at it.

I'm so sick of never following through with stuff, and my parents definitely are too, so it's time for me to stop being a little *****, step up, and prove to my parents, and myself, that I can do this.

So, any opinions on these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
sorestgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #29
1sik7t2
dave

Holy Crap 18!!!! I Think I Was That Age Some Time Ago & I New Everything................ Until I Woke Up The Next Day Then I New It All Again & Again Everyday Is A Lesson Learn From It Thats The Difference Remember, When You Fall Down, Fall Down Looking Up Because If You Can Look Up, You Can Get Up Good Luck
Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #30
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorestgore View Post
Ok guys.... You're likely getting sick of my jumping between giving up and wanting to finish it. But I've come to a decision that will help the entire project.

My main problem has been getting motivated to do the body-work. So instead of doing something I'm sick of trying to do, I'm going to shift my focus to rebuilding my 350. Once I've got the engine built up, THAN I'll get back to the truck. I've been looking at this all wrong, and I think this will be the best way to go at it.

I'm so sick of never following through with stuff, and my parents definitely are too, so it's time for me to stop being a little *****, step up, and prove to my parents, and myself, that I can do this.
Way to step up. I hope you follow through. Your situation could be far worse. A positive attitude will be rewarded with positive results.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #31
nightmare

I'd go with this, to save a little money: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...X&autoview=sku. Cloyes is a good company.
The other parts look like they are good too.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

Last edited by nightmare; 12-16-2007 at 11:41 AM.
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #32
Weezer67

Good decision. It's what you learn after you know it ALL... that is important!
Weezer67
Dodge City, Kansas
Weezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #33
67chevemall

I mean the beer is 4 the labour guys

Never drink and drive. It wrecked me for 6 years. I still am not 100%
I learned the hard way. Now a $30 cab means nothing to me.

Fix the truck, you can do it.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #34
89 crew

If the truck worked before it will work again with the same parts. except a few gaskets and those are cheap! quit whining and put it back together. One thing I learned a long time ago is as long as you have a truck you can drive, there is always someone wanting something hauled. it may not be consistent money but it will help get your finances back on track. just put an add on craigslist offering the service. you will get contacted. let's say you get the vw's done, what can you do with them? can they make you money? All they will do is get you from a-b and save a little gas. Untill you take responsibility for your mistakes there is nothing anyone can do for you. you have to grow up, fix your problems, then, and only then will you learn how to avoid making the same STUPID mistakes again! It is all too easy to say the world hates me and that is why I'm in such bad shape. In reality YOU are the cause of your problems! no one made you drink. no one made you get expelled from school! YOU did this and it isn't your mommy's job to fix your problems, you are suppose to be an adult!
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

You might not need a complete rebuild. I pulled the 400 in my 79 f150 4x4 and said the same thing, "i'm gonna rebuild it" but then I got cheap and realized I only need one cylinder bored so I sleeved it instead so I could still use all my pistons, put new rings, bearings and gaskets. Oh and doing the assembly yourself saves money.

Sleeve $100
Gaskets $50 give or take a few bucks
New cam and lifter set (not needed but wanted it) $189.99 (268 grind from comp cams)
Bearings $40
Rings $30

So it cost me $220 for a "rebuild" not including cam since it wasn't necessary.

On a side note, how much money do you think it will take exactly to swap motors on a VW especially a diesel. Think about it, a few bucks in bolts and gaskets and you have a running vehicle. Don't take short cuts putting it back together, do it right and drive the piss out of it.
Oh and I threw on some fancy valve covers and I don't think anyone will know that it's not a brand new engine.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!

Last edited by Jtrux; 12-16-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #36
corn

Let me see if Ive got this straight. You can only afford to & have the time to build a vehicle if you DONT have a license? That confuses me a little...

Oh & DAMMMMM that DMV for taking your license for breaking the law 3 times! Those no good sons a...........
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #37
Shane
Account Suspended

Don't think you're gonna get much sympathy with the OUI thingy. Sorry.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #38
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Don't think you're gonna get much sympathy with the OUI thingy. Sorry.
I wasn't asking for sympathy, especially because the OWI happened half a year before i had my situation with the DMV, i know i did something dumb, i take all the blame for it.

and for the record, it's not 3 violations... it's 14 total lol, I'm a dumb-ass kid, what do you expect?

i don't get my license back until this coming march, and my goal is to have the engine running and transmission and everything done, cab and front clip mounted and the truck be driveable by March 2nd, 2008. And damnit, I'm not gonna stop till I reach that goal.

About the engine, when i tore it down i found the cam to be in pretty rough shape, two of the lobes were worn to be circular (instead of being an actual lobe). I figured out that those lobes were both operating intake valves, so in effect, I was running on 6 cylinders. That truck was scary powerful, so I can't imagine how she'll run with all eight cylinders firing! Also, the cam gear was completely shot, it was missing nearly half the teeth, and was so far gone that when i took off the timing chain cover, the chain just fell off the gear. So i realized that like every time i started the engine, there's a good chance the timing may have varied a little each time.

I cannot wait to fire that beast up!!!!

I'm going to be moving my block into my attached garage where it's a little warmer (four overhead infrared heating units compared to only two in the other garage), do a little research on what parts i should buy, place some orders, and go at it!

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #39
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Oh, and I'm ditching the Volkswagen project, that will come later down the road when I've got some extra spending money. I still hadn't found a car to start with so no money wasted on that.

Deceased:
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #40
mvfd70

I beg you please do not drink and drive. I've seen so many lives wrecked because of this in my career. I'll agree with others and tell you to get back in school. Any kind of education will be helpful in getting a better paying job. And as far as the truck...I'ts not costing you money if you have to let it sit. I bought an entire truck that was in pieces and it is still in pieces. I would love to work on it and get it going but I just don't have the extra cash. Sounds like you have another car to drive (the VW you got a ticket in) so you don't NEED the truck to drive. If you don't have the money, don't go in debt over the truck. The way I look at mine is it is a play toy. I work on it when I have the time/money. It might take my 10 years or more to finish it but I don't HAVE to spend money on it. Main thing is I encourage you to get back in school and be smart about making decisions when it comes to life in general.

Last edited by mvfd70; 12-17-2007 at 08:17 AM.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #41
odog

Not to say that college isn't useful, BUT it's not mandatory you have a college education to get a good job. I went to college and Graduated. I double majored in Business Management and Computer Science. I played football and decided to get a degree too. I worked in that field for 6 months, hated it. Now I am a rock driller and blaster. I make more money than I did with a degree and I get to blow S*** up and make a mess. All I'm saying is dont think you have to have a fancy degree to get a good job. Find a company that is hiring, in a field you find interesting, prove that you are willing to work harder than everybody else, and stick with it. A guy that is willing to jump in and do the work is more valuable than some one with a degree who stands there and analizes the situation. I learned to be a good driller by trying and doing, not by saying I've never done that before so its not something I can do. Just my .02

Oh and I'm glad to here you are sticking with the truck, stick with the forum too. These guys are great with trucks, but they have a lot of life experience too and will help you if you ask.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #42
72BLUZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Let's cut the drama and the bs. Just get your butt out there and put it back together.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #43
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvfd70 View Post
I beg you please do not drink and drive. I've seen so many lives wrecked because of this in my career.... Sounds like you have another car to drive (the VW you got a ticket in) so you don't NEED the truck to drive.
I will never drink and drive again, I learned my lesson the hard way, and never want to do it again.

Actually my Volkswagen (a 1995 GTI VR6) was totaled while I was racing at Brainerd International Raceway. The car that was tailing me clipped my right-rear coming into turn 1 (which is a 130+ mph banked right-hand sweeper at the end of a half-mile straightaway) and I spun 6 times before going into the wall backwards at around 75-80mph.

So I actually do not have any sort of vehicle to drive once I get my my license back unless I get my truck on the road again. It's a very strong motivation for me to get it driving again!!!! I might try to find a cheap motorcycle for commuting to work and back, save a lot of money on gas that way.

Deceased:

Last edited by sorestgore; 12-17-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #44
otsenre

Sure has been alot of attention to this post, I say let him go, Come back when you get it together! No sympathy over here
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #45
mvfd70

Odog, you are right about a degree not being necessary. I'll rephrase my statement and say that working hard at doing better will get you places you need to be.

Sucks for the VW too, sorestgore. Good luck on the truck and good luck on getting back on your feet. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes. I'm glad you're learning from them without anyone getting hurt.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #46
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Oh man, every day seems to bring different news for you guys! I'm still going to be rebuilding the engine and eventually getting the truck on the road again, but i just found a more realistic project, and i'm getting it for free! It's a 1987 BMW 325e 4-door. My older brother has two BMW's, one is his track car, a 1988 325is, and the second one is the 325e, and he had bought it for about $1200 from some old couple. He's decided to give it to me so I have a realistic, fun project. I'll eventually pay him for the car, but for now, it's mine!!!

here's the car:
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47437

Look at the leather on this thing, it's nearly mint!!!

Deceased:
Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #47
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorestgore View Post
and for the record, it's not 3 violations... it's 14 total lol, I'm a dumb-ass kid, what do you expect?
I'm done with you, honestly if your a dumb-ass kid that thinks 14 traffic violations is FUNNY, you don't deserve a truck, and I don't want you on the road with me. Alot of people on here have given you some VERY good advice from people whom have experience and all your concerned about is building a "hotrod" motor so you can go out and get more tickets!! Good luck and I hope its just a phase and you live to see the end of it.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #48
b-rad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I'm done with you, honestly if your a dumb-ass kid that thinks 14 traffic violations is FUNNY, you don't deserve a truck, and I don't want you on the road with me. Alot of people on here have given you some VERY good advice from people whom have experience and all your concerned about is building a "hotrod" motor so you can go out and get more tickets!! Good luck and I hope its just a phase and you live to see the end of it.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #49
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
uh that s 2 or maybe three
and to think it only took 14 times to get your head out of you r ass

Last edited by bad6772; 12-17-2007 at 07:39 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #50
72BLUZ

my philosophy is this, give sound advise to the young people and hope they heed it. after all they are the future!!!!!!!!!