The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #26
RoyL

1999-2005 Silverado Seats in a 1965 Suburban??

This article http://chevtruckseatswap.blogspot.co...blog-post.html
says "the console brackets will have to be trimmed slightly to fit over the hump."

Based on others I have "talked" to, there were pretty heavy mods needed to the console bracket.

It appears that even with mods to the brackets, the center console seat section may not “squeeze” together enough for both seats to sit on the flat part of the floor . . . It looks like I need about 2 inches for the feet of the seat tracks to sit flat.

Any of you Suburban guys used these seats?

Thanks,
Roy
Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #27
RoyL

Re: 1966 bench seat switch-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
Ok, update, got a good unbent seat, but they still won't sit flat on the floor, one side "falls off" the flat part of the floor. This is with the center console zipped tied where the mating holes are. I assume the Suburban cab floors the same as the truck?

The flat section of the floor measures from edge to edge at 54.5" before it ramps down to the door. The seat track bolt locations are ~54.75" [center to center] plus the seat track feet extend about a 0.5" more.
Revisiting this issue...
Any of you Suburban guys that have your seats out, can you measure the "flat section" for me? The flat section of the floor from edge to edge, before it ramps down to the door.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #28
mwipp

I have 2003 Silverado seats in my truck. Personally I'm looking to change to something else thats a narrower seat. I switched to a tilt/teloscoping column out of a cady and a smaller diameter wheel so my knees dont hit the steering wheel.. Even with the shorter column and smaller wheel its still not the most confortable... and I'm not that tall either only about 5'8".

I was looking at putting in new silverado seats like jimmy suggested cause they looked narrower but i havent gotten a chance to confirm they actually were narrower. Has anyone used the newer silverado seats?
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #29
VictoriaHardware

I used 2008 Silverado seats in my Sub and I'm very happy with them except access to the rear is difficult from the front. They are comfortable, with plenty of adjustment for up/down , fore/aft, and lumbar. Of course with the headrest and some plastic they don't look original but that was a trade-off I had to make.

The basic seat is the same for 2007-2013 and was used in Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac trucks- pickups and SUVs. There are three separate sections- left, center, and right. There are a lot of variations to choose from- cloth, leather, heated, cooled, black, tan, gray, manual, power, lumbar, different center consoles, etc, etc. 2010-2013 has side air bags built in, but they don't hinder anything.

I was able to bolt my OEM lap seat belts in place of the 2008 ones which attach to the seat frame. Had to drill all new holes in the floor once I had them placed exactly where I wanted them, but that was no big deal. The one hitch was the 2 right hand legs of the right seat. Had to fab up simple brackets to extend out and catch the seat legs, then weld them in. Pictures show the cardboard and tape model and then the final product. The flat section of the Suburban/Panel floor is a little narrower than the pickup where they put a "step" in for rear seat access from the RH door.
Attached Images

Last edited by VictoriaHardware; 01-05-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added stuff
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #30
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Some cool ideas for seats here! Nice job ya'all.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #31
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
I used 2008 Silverado seats in my Sub and I'm very happy with them except access to the rear is difficult from the front. They are comfortable, with plenty of adjustment for up/down , fore/aft, and lumbar ....
The one hitch was the 2 right hand legs of the right seat. Had to fab up simple brackets to extend out and catch the seat legs, then weld them in. Pictures show the cardboard and tape model and then the final product. The flat section of the Suburban/Panel floor is a little narrower than the pickup where they put a "step" in for rear seat access from the RH door.
Thanks! Nice bracket idea, can't hardly tell and carpet would cover it. Just making sure before I decided whether to fab the center section feet or something like you did. Some of the possible center sections may be narrower than others? And my electric motor was interfereing with the center hump too. I'll revisit that and see if it's a problem...

And
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #32
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Some of the possible center sections may be narrower than others?
For '07-'13 all the centers use the same basic frame and therefore the same floor mounting legs. In my case, it straddled the center hump perfectly. I used the "LS" trim level console which is used on Silverado extended cab & crew cab (also LS Tahoe & LS Suburban). I gutted the lower stowage area such that it completely cleared the floor. I didn't anticipate needing that area, AND when the LS3 engine transplant happens that space will be used to mount the electrical center and ECM. It is completely unnoticeable.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #33
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
For '07-'13 all the centers use the same basic frame and therefore the same floor mounting legs. In my case, it straddled the center hump perfectly. I used the "LS" trim level console which is used on Silverado extended cab & crew cab (also LS Tahoe & LS Suburban). I gutted the lower stowage area such that it completely cleared the floor. I didn't anticipate needing that area, AND when the LS3 engine transplant happens that space will be used to mount the electrical center and ECM. It is completely unnoticeable.
Thx for that insight. Makes sense that the center section legs would be the same. My 2003 seats have the center as a "jump seat" and fold down console combo.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
Thx for that insight. Makes sense that the center section legs would be the same. My 2003 seats have the center as a "jump seat" and fold down console combo.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...83&postcount=5

This thread link describes differences in the truck vs Suburban floor on the passenger side. excerpt: " ... the main difference in the floor is between the passenger sill plate and the seat, the sub will have a step built in, and is different than a truck."

Maybe that helps explain why some truck guys had no problem fitting the Silverado seats in a pick-up but the floor was not wide enough in a Burb...? More out of curiosity what the differences are, I've not seen both up close to compare.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #35
Uptown83

There was an old thread about this and someone used a early to mid 90s ford bench seat and it looked great.

I think a lot of these newer seats look out of place and the ford one looked like it still went with the truck.
Uptown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #36
Lokin4AReason

didnt they have something similar like these buckets/ bench configuration as a stock/ dealer option ...?