The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
60short
Revitalizing a 6T C10

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

I think those are both steering column related - I think the elbow shaped one goes on the inner fender and the other one goes in side the cabin where the column goes through.
20+ year long term project in process
Lots of Rust, more memories...
60short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60short View Post
I think those are both steering column related - I think the elbow shaped one goes on the inner fender and the other one goes in side the cabin where the column goes through.
I really appreciate the comments back!! I feel so much better now... lol I was thinking I was going crazy...

For those of you just reading things on the site and thinking of joining, THIS is a perfect example of why you should! There are many on here that are so willing to help and pass along the knowledge and experience.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

60short is correct on the location of those two panels.

The updated pics are looking good!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
60short is correct on the location of those two panels.

The updated pics are looking good!
Thank you Sir! I appreciate the positive feedback! Ill try to keep them coming...
Old 11-21-2022, 03:15 AM   #5
Braunschweiger

I love your build, it looks great. The parts have already been identified.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
I love your build, it looks great. The parts have already been identified.
Thank you, I appreciate that! Thank you for also verifying the parts. It is getting exciting for me again. Not that it was not before, just getting to see things together is great, even though I just have to uninstall and then reinstall after paint. lol
Old 11-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
pdxhall

It's been a while since I've checked in. You're coming along great and your work is awesome. Keep it up.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
It's been a while since I've checked in. You're coming along great and your work is awesome. Keep it up.
Great to hear from you again! Hope all is well with you. It is nice to be back at it again.
Now I am working with the Hydro boost system I bought and making it work with CaptainFab's great Hydro boost and Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder setup. His stuff is just amazing and now I am working with him to make it work right. The issue is with the mounting plate that came with the CPP Beast Hydro Boost. This plate is for universal and has only two holes on it BUT a bunch of dimples that appear to be possible to be drilled holes, and 4 of those line up to CaptainFab's mount, BUT I need to remove that damn Hydro boost nut, so just to make it easy, I ordered CaptainFab's. Then I will look at what way is best to mount it. All this just to figure out how to route my damn brake lines and Hydraulic lines for the Rack-n-Pinion, Power steering pump and Hydro boost. just one more step... lol
Old 12-01-2022, 02:15 PM   #9
88Stanger

Ok, so I have some update pics.
(CaptainFab if please feel free to use any of the pics or info as you wish sir, great damn product!!)

Here are some pics of the Clutch and Brake pedals installed (fully re-built and powder coated) along with CaptainFab's hydro-boost and Clutch Slave Cylinder kit (stuff is amazing that he sells).
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2022, 04:20 AM   #10
Braunschweiger

The deflection to reduce the force is a great product.
I also thought about it when converting the Mustang to hydraulic clutch actuation for the BorgWarner T5.
I love clever things like this and your clean structure, great.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
The deflection to reduce the force is a great product.
I also thought about it when converting the Mustang to hydraulic clutch actuation for the BorgWarner T5.
I love clever things like this and your clean structure, great.
Thank you sir. I appreciate your comments!
Old 12-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #12
Paul Y

Lovely work Jeff.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #13
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Lovely work Jeff.

P.
Thank you sir... just trying to catch up to your build!! LOL I am a bit behind you though!
Old 12-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #14
88Stanger

Ok, so I got the Nut for the Hydro boost from CaptainFab and it work flawlessly, just as I expected. I got the C-Clip off, then the nut, removed the spacer and test fit the correct dimples to drill out, and the ones I highlighted in silver are perfect. I drilled them out with my drill press, test fit it again to CaptainFabs bracket and it was a perfect match. So then I install the plate back onto the Hydro boost, replace the clip and test mount the entire system. It was a perfect match. The only kicker here now is the distance to the brake pedal mount is further than than the pieces they send with the kit, and go try to find a damn 3/8" all thread rod with Fine threads!!! Hint, locally hardware stores do not have any! The reality is that the only thing they have that is over 1" long are the hollow all thread for hanging lights, the gold hollow all thread! Ys not using that... so i found a 12" piece of all thread for just over 2 dollars at Granger supply. ANYWAYS... lol I just want it to fit and look right. Getting this 12" all thread will allow me to reach the hole in the pedal. I will have it adjusted to be just off the rubber bumpers.
I have the clutch pedal the same way and it is done already. I have pics coming of this.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
88Stanger

I have pics of the entire Hydro boost and clutch slave cylinder mounted and then the inner fender mounted and how close the slave cylinder is but not touching to the inner fender well. It honestly looks like it came stock like this!!
With that said, for the brake lines from the adjustable Prop valve I am running -3AN fittings and flex tube to a custom mount that will be on the inner fender just below the prop valve and then typical hardline from this point to associated areas - both front brakes and then to the rear "tee" for the rear brakes. I like this idea because I want a universal removal area without hard lines and I think it cleans up the area also. I can bend and route the hard lines to look good and follow the frame and inner fender well to this junction point. I know it may be a bit confusing, but it will make sense shortly, well at least to me. lol
Old 12-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #16
88Stanger

OK, so help here please!

I got the Hydro boost Brake and Hydraulic Clutch system all installed, looks great and will work perfect, THANK YOU CaptainFab!!!

Now onto more fun stuff... NOT

So on the SBC I have the March Pulley kit #22037-8. I am running AC and power steering pump (stock style - currently) and a power rack n pinion system, and this is where the pain in the butt part comes into play. Currently the power steering pump is actually hitting or near hitting the Rack steering universal joint! There is absolutely no room!! So, I have sent a message to March asking for help, maybe a mount that is higher for the pump, BUT I also stumbled onto what about using a GM Type 2 Pump and Res? I really like this setup and would prefer this pump anyways, but I need to make sure i can run this with the March setup. Is anyone running one of these pumps?

So i found that Unisteer performance has a complete kit for a Rack system on our trucks. I got mine from POL but this kit from Unisteer is everything, nice kit but a bit spendy - 8011920-01. With that said, they run a Type 2 pump, have a mount for it and have the parts and routing for the steering shaft that I need. I sent them a message asking for some help from them, hopefully they will sell me the steering shaft mount and the power steering pump mount without all the rest.

Speedway has a Type 2 pump with -6AN fittings which is what i want for a decent price.

It is fun to build these trucks. I love having an issue and then finding the solution, damn it would be nice if the solution was not spendy... lol

Anyways, any help here is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #17
Arne

I looked into the Unisteer kit, but found that the kit (including the pump and brackets) is configured for short water pumps only. The pump mount may not work for you if you have long pump and pulleys.

I'm definitely going to pay attention to your solution. I have a POL rack on order, it should get here in a few weeks. I have a long water pump and the normal Saginaw pump, but will be using brackets from Alan Grove. I will need to check the U-joint clearance once I have it all here.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 12-10-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:02 PM   #18
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
I looked into the Unisteer kit, but found that the kit (including the pump and brackets) is configured for short water pumps only. The pump mount may not work for you if you have long pump and pulleys.

I'm definitely going to pay attention to your solution. I have a POL rack on order, it should get there in a few weeks. I have a long water pump and the normal Saginaw pump, but will be using brackets from Alan Grove. I will need to check the U-joint clearance once I have it all here.
As soon as i get some info I'll let you know. I appreciate the info on the unisteer kit for short pump. I have a long pump as you. I found a few options for a GM type 2 mount that shoukd fix the issue, but no idea yet. I'll be interested in what march says. One way or another. I'll get a fix and pass on the info. That kit by the way firm POL is really cool.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #19
88Stanger

Ok, oh damn what an adventure! BUT I think i have seen the light... or at least a glimpse. LOL
So, I spoke with UniSteer about the kit they offer and Arne they do offer the kit for long and/or short water pump. With that said, I was then very interested in the Type 2 power steering pump mount they have and they are cool enough to just sell me that part(s). Then I was asking them about the Heim joint bracket that bolts to the frame and then the DBL D shaft goes through. The agreed to sell me just the bracket to hold the Heim joint (I already bought one). FYI I found these parts and how they assemble their kit on their website in relation to the rack they offer for our trucks - 8011920-01.

So with that said, it is very important that I explain my whole system. So I have a Small Block (383ci) with Long Water pump, POL Rack n pinion kit, Hydro Boost kit, Disc brakes all around, and HAD a standard small block Power Steering Pump and a March Pulley's sport pulley system. I say all this because I had an interference issue with the Power steering pump reservoir and outlet fitting hitting the universal joint on the steering shaft. So, with that said, I decided to go with a different setup of the power steering pump and change over to a GM Type 2 Pump, easy enough, right!?! NOPE!! So I have the new (coming in the near future) Type 2 pump mount from Unisteer. This is great, BUT I am not sure what pulley I need, yes there are about 1000 different pulleys, it really is crazy... SO, I bought one from Speedway that is universal and has a reservoir on it with -6an in and out, and I will use the PTFE steel braided hose I have that I used for my fuel line (the line pressure is below the rating of this hose). This is all good, EXCEPT after alot of research typically a Powered Rack wants lower pressure than what a Type 2 standard pressure puts out. Typically a standard Type 2 is 1300 lbs pressure and a typical rack wants 800 - 900 lbs. If you have excessive pressure the rack will act very quick, scary quick and possibly dangerous. So, after reading an article by Hot Rod magazine in 2021 by Marlan Davis, if using a type 2 pump with Hydro boost and a rack, you will need to install a Heidts PS-101 Power steering pump adjustable valve. Well yipee... more $$$, but it is what is needed to make it work right, so .... This valve allows you to adjust the pressure going to the rack to fine tune the steering response, so it is needed. At $135.00 it better work. LOL

Anyways, so I think I have the system figured out mostly, just need to get the pump mount, pump itself in and mounted and then see what offset is needed to make it all work, then get the correct pulley ordered.

I have a hose kit that I bought with my Hydro-boost that well i may not use now, but I will look into that when everything is here.

More to come as I get it. lol
Old 12-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #20
Arne

Waiting to see what you end up with. My new Alan Grove steering pump brackets arrived today, but I probably won't get to a test fit for a couple days. Will let you know how they go.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 12-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #21
88Stanger

Quote:
Waiting to see what you end up with. My new Alan Grove steering pump brackets arrived today, but I probably won't get to a test fit for a couple days. Will let you know how they go.
I appreciate that. I will for sure keep you up to date on this.. lol if i can help even in the slightest itsxworth it
Old 12-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #22
Arne

Quote:
I was wrong, I found time to test fit today. They fit correctly to the engine, and both pulley grooves line up properly. Of course, I don't know about steering shaft and u-joint clearance since I don't have my rack yet.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 12-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #23
88Stanger

So, i have multiple parts coming for the re-alignment of the power steering pump, along with a new pump and reservoir, mount and such. That will continue the 1966 power steering system

Now with that said I have been working on my 1969 C10 with an LS from time to time (it is for sale, or was). One issue I had with it is with the Holley Terminator X Max fuel injection wiring and brain. The initial setup from Holley was good and then I had Andrew (well known tuner for the Terminator kit) tune it and damn that was great then. So with that said, I was having an issue with it running rich for some reason, so a call to Andrew and 3 min on the tune and he found a vacuum issue. This was caused by a broken vacuum nipple on the Holley vacuum line. Called Holley and they do not have a part number for it, BUT they are sending me a new one for free. Meanwhile i have the original one being super glued, going to see about getting a brass one also. Anyways just wanted to post this here for anyone that has the Terminator X kit, pay very close attention to this nipple and placement. It was working at one time but the bouncing may have caused the issue.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #24
88Stanger

Ok, well what a time it has been trying to figure out the best way to do this power steering pump setup. I got the brackets to do the install for a GM Type 2 power steering pump along with a Long Water pump setup, and matching the dual Serpentine crank pully from my March Pully kit. I got a type 2 pump from Speedway WITH a reservoir attached and have since learned that in no way will this work with the Powered Rack I have, BUT a remote reservoir pump will! So I ordered a new Type 2 pump with 6an out and 10an in and a remote reservoir. along with 10an PTFE hose and fittings. I bought a serpentine pump pulley (part number Dorman 300-301) that looks like it will work! The pump mount I got from Unsteer appears to allow me to move the pump closer or further away from the block in small increments to lineup with the March Pulley, so that is making this easier. It has been some time and effort to make it all work, but it is really coming together. So if anyone needs or wants more detail on all this, let me know and i will get you all the info.
Pics coming of the install...
Also got all my fitting for the brake lines, so starting that install this weekend. Pics coming
Old 12-28-2022, 02:22 AM   #25
88Stanger

Damnit Dave Kindig and *****in Rides!! I had the idea for exhaust through the bed!!! Copy cat... lol
Beautiful truck the built