The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2002, 01:00 AM   #1
72addict

Angry Installing new windshield Problem!!

Could not get the stainless trim to stay in the gasket off the window, then I tried putting gasket on glass and then putting stainless on it, then I finally put window in truck and tried to put stainless on. I have installed one before by putting stainless on before putting window in- no problem. Maybe I got the wrong deluxe gasket? Are all 67-72 windshield gaskets the same? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:16 AM   #2
Solver

I just went through this also. The chrome trim for 71-72 has a short narrow lip and the 67-70 has a real deep lip that goes down below windshield so there is a difference in the two seals.Also I am sure you must put trim on before window install.
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:35 AM   #3
scott's69
WORTHLESS CRUISERS

I had the same problems. Had to try different window rubber and you must install trim before you put it in truck!! It may take some elbow grease but after sitting truck out in sun for several days gasket and trim settle into place. Good Luck....be patient!!!
If you don't live for something, then you'll die for nothing. www.xclusive-images.com
scott's69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:26 AM   #4
Huck

Paul, LMC recommends that you mount the seal with the stainless trim into the frame before you attempt to actually install the glass. I've tried every know method the world has ever created and gave up. Called in a service who for $90. would install. They broke my good windshield, and ruined the new rubber seal. Next day they came back with a new windshield (from Mexico) and worked on it---bent the stainless but finally got the glass in. The end result is a new windshield, old rubber, bent stainless and it sticks out on the drivers side. They used the rope trick, wd40, soap, etc. By the way, the sob still leaks too.
I've got another one to do and will wait to see how you progress before I attempt it. Several years ago I had one done and the guy did it by himself in about 20 minutes. I should have paid closer attention!!! Good luck and let us know how you did it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:39 AM   #5
68 Suburban

Sounds like a pain in the arse! If I ever have to replace a windshield, I think I will let the professionals deal with it.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

OH IT'S NOT THAT TOUGH -- FIRST OF ALL,LOOK OVER YOUR WINDSHIELD LIP & MAKE SURE IT'S FLAT,EVEN (INNER SKIN TO OUTER SKIN) & NO SHARP BURRS OR EDGES THAT WILL CUT YOUR GASKET) WORK IT OVER WITH A DIE GRINDER IF NESSESARY,IF YOU POP FOR A GOOD GASKET, LIKE ONE FROM SOFT SEAL, IT'LL GO ALOT EASYER (YOU WON'T BE SORRY ABOUT THE FEW EXTRA BUCKS) FIRST PUT THE GASKET ON THE WINDSHIELD, (#2) PUT THE STAINLESS TRIM IN THE GASKET,(#3) SRAY SILICONE IN THE WINDSHIELD GROOVE OF THE GASKET,(#4) PUT 1" MASKING TAPE, IN ABOUT 12 SPOTS, ABOUT 6" LONG, HOLDING THE GASKET WITH THE TRIM ALREADY INSTALLED TO THE WINDSHEILD,(#5) PUT 3/16" OR 1/4" ROPE AROUND THE WINDSHEILD LIP GROOVE IN THE GASKET,STARTING AT THE BOTTOM CENTER & LEAVING ABOUT 18 " TAG ENDS STICKING OUT IN THE BOTTOM MIDDLE.(#6) YOU & A HELPER SET THE BOTTOM OF THE GASKET ON THE LIP, & PUT THE WINDSHEILD IN POSITION.(#7) GENTLY PULL THE ROPE THRU, AS YOUR HELPER PUSHES,& SLAPS WITH AN OPEN PALM OF HAND, FROM THE OUTSIDE,(#8) A SMALL HOOK REALLY HELPS AT THIS POINT TO HELP PULL THE GASKET INTO PLACE, PULL THE ROPE ALL THE WAY AROUND.(#9) WITH THE GASKET & W/S FULLY INSTALLED, UNDO THE TAPE & PULL IT THRU THE GASKET TO CAB SEAL, (IT'LL COME OUT) LET IT SET IN THE SUN ALL DAY FOR THE GASKET TO SETTLE IN. IF DONE PROPERLY, IT WONT LEAK SO YOU WONT NEED ANY SEALANT. IF YOU RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS, START OVER. NOT THAT TOUGH.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 05:27 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

ttt

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 06-25-2002, 10:51 PM   #8
NuBomb

I had the same exact problem with mine. I bought a windshield gasket from general motors and asked for my year. I couldn't get the chrome to stay in to save my life. We finally put the windshield in and put pieces of paint paddles to stretch out the gasket for the chrome trim. On a sunny day I put the chrome trim in using soap and little picks. I promised myself I would take mine to a shop if it ever needs another windshield, but I printed Junkyard John's instructions since I'll probably break that promise in the near future. Thanks Junkyard.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:58 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

HEY NO PROBLEM - AFTER YOU PUT A COUPLE IN, & GET THE HANG OF IT, IT'S A PIECE OF CAKE. JUST DON'T GET FRUSTRATED, & TRY TO FORCE SOMETHING. IF I CAN DO IT -- ANYONE CAN. LOL

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH