The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #26
ed455
Captain Ed

Used both. I used the dado blade for the bed strip grooves and I used a router to notch out for the cross braces inderneath. The problem with tht composite deck board is that thay are about 1.5" thick. You can eather plane them to 3/4" or notch them. I simply laid them in the cross bars and marked the boards. Then I routed them to the correct thickness at those points. The stuff is a mixture of both reclaimed wood and recycled plastics. It works just like wood. Nice thing is, my bed looks good but I don't ever have to worry about rain, nor do I worry about putting things in the back of my TRUCK. The stuff will never rot either.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #27
Putter
More Cowbell....

A Few 72's,
I planed mine from 1" rough-cut red oak down to 3/4". Then I used a table saw (no dado blade) and just ran each board through three times to get the desired groove width. Came out perfect. Then I used a router and made little 'relief' notches sideways from the grooves so any water in the grooves would not have to travel all the way to the end of the board to drain off (if that makes sense). Added some stain to get the desired color and applied about 8 coats of clear poly. Not warried abour hauling stuff in mine either. If I "F" them up, I will make new boards. I didn't replace mine to be pretty, I needed a bed that didn't leave stuff lying on the street.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #28
A few 72's

Thanks to both of you for the information.
I had found some Black walnut and some cedar at a auction a few weeks ago, but the price went higher than I wanted to give. The high price was mainly due to the amount of wood that was there, was still a good deal, just more wood than I would have needed for a bed floor. If I find a deal on something different, I'll get it, if not will do the oak when the time comes.
A few 72's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:12 PM   #29
sdmahr

I didn't stain mine and used Spar Varnish, (used on wooden boats), for the UV and water resistance, (available at any hardware store and Wal-Marts). My planks are oak and they came out a beautiful "honey" color.

I put on 4 coats, sanding between coats and trying to keep the dust off the wet fresh coats, and I'm impressed.
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote