The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #26
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotledude05
Ok, I've had a question for a while: what does double sticking do for your tcase? I can't do it to my t221 because I don't think it was made for that, and I don't think I'd want to modify it that heavily, however, I'd still like to know how the double sticks work.
The twin stick allows you to control your axles independently of each other.
One lever has Lo-N-Hi for the front axle, and one has Lo-N-Hi for the rear axle.
That way you can do neat things like put it in RWD Lo, or drive it in FWD. Put both in Lo, and you have traditional 4 Lo. I am pretty sure that you cannot put one in Hi and one in Lo, and if you did it would probably make the tcase self destruct.

Some older vehicles (like Jeeps and Scouts) had factory twin stick transfer cases, but IIRC it was different than what I described above. I think that with the old style, one lever controlled 2 or 4 wheel, and one controlled Lo or Hi.

With the Rockwell tcase, I don't think you could twin stick it. It would not be worth the effort, even if I am wrong. The Rockwell is a good tcase, but the parts to rebuild one are outrageously priced. I don't know if Meritor still makes the T221, but they still do make the T223 (the bigger brother of the T221, used in some army trucks and aftermarket 4x4 conversions in medium duty trucks since the 60s) brand new. It costs a little over $2k for a brand new T223 in a crate from them, and has been around for as long as the 221 has. That is ridiculous. NP205's can be had all day for $100 or so, and are a lot cheaper to rebuild.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:15 PM   #27
earl87gta

Im using a 205 I didnt double stick it until I put the locker in. Its not hard to do and will only coast you like $50 for the hole convertion the shift boot was $30 and I got a stick from a 205 for $10 but you could probly get one from a 203 from a salvafge yard for almost nothing.Thier is a lot of info over on CK5 on the convertion.