The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
skahide
Looking @ 67 Chevy Short Step

Fuel problem and Testing a starter???

My truck carb went out (or so i think) and so i parked the truck in the carport. I figured id cover all the bases of possible problems, to hopefully not have to spend $ on a carb. It had been sitting for about a month so i started to turn the motor over to make sure it was getting fuel to the carb. After several minutes of not getting it started, but just turning it over, I found that there was no fuel in my inline filter, or in the hoses. So i figure, Fuel pump. I buy and install a new one, and try it out. Still no fuel in the line.I have duel tanks but the switch is busted in parts in the dash. Plus in the process of turning the motor over it sounded like the starter went out, as well as it sounding like the battery was dying. So i pulled the starter and my father in law said i could hook it up to a battery, and cross the silonoid and see if it works, well it does. Does this mean it is good? sorry so long.
skahide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
hotrodhomi

If your battery was dying then it will make your starter sound funny. It's probably good. Fix the battery problem first. .
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
leastbay

i had the same problem with my fuel not sure if youre using both tanks bc of your switch but mine was the dual tank valve i determined this by climbing under teh truck and hooking a vacuum pump to the various hoses napa has new ones for 80 bucks i never got around to getting one i just bypassed mine and i run it off of 1 tank
leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
75stepside
*Proud Member*

FYI, you can take your starter to any advance auto parts stores or auto zones and they test 'em for free...

i used to work there, the best option for a replacement is a high torque starter from a '92 K1500 - its the same size as yours, just high torque, runs about $35. It should fit any 350 - i put one on my '75 block.

if you want to go nuts, you can always get the mini high torque starter from a 94+ @ $120...

hope this helps.
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
skahide

well i know that before i got it the guy told me that the driver tank was the one it ran off of, then the dang switch broke. so how do i bypass the valve?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:21 AM   #6
skahide

any help?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #7
leastbay

ok climb underneath and locate the valve it has a cover plate on it just find there will be alot of lines on it find the one that comes from your fuel tank and the one that goes to your fuel pump and disconnect them from the valve, then just get some longer fuel tubing and run it from the metal line from the tank to the metal line to the fuel pump
Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 AM   #8
skahide

rubber tubing? clamp it on? thanks for any help
Old 11-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #9
leastbay

yeah just rubber tubing there will already be clamps holding it onto the nipples on the valves
Old 11-12-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
skahide

will i need to plug up any lines? can i use any tubing already near the valve?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #11
leastbay

no just leave the other lines on the valve and connect those 2 you will just be running off of 1 tank. you cant just use the line thats on there because it will not be long enough the 2 small rubber hoses might be able to reach other end to end though like i said these hoses are only a few inches long because it goes from metal fuel lines to rubber just for the valve and back to metal you just gotta find out which ones to connect hope this diagram helps
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
skahide

thanks man, that helps