The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
dinnut

had an incident//// need some int. reg. alt. help

I guess i should just blame this on myself. I was out and it was saturday. im driving the truck in front of chilis and i feel the front tire jump little curb im like SH** my friend is all like watch out and next thing i know the back tire jumps the curb and the truck gets really loud... i shut it off not knowing what to expect.i go look under the passenger side and notice the curb hammered by whole passenger side exhuast system back disconnecting it from the header! i had to drive it home with 1 open header. then i had to drive to work this morning with it too. hopefully i can fix it tomorrow. im gonna take the whole thing off and see what can be done with it. hopefulyl nothing is bent just the muffler is a little caved in. on top of all this my choke tends to stay half closed on my holley so taking off from intersection can be a little.... strange..... it takes quite a bit of gas to open the choke hehe so it gets a little loud sometimes... but im working on fixing that too. on top of all this my alternator decides to start acting up so i have a dead battery when i wake up then it dies at a redlight and dead battery again so i have to jump with a mobile jumper and then i pull into the kroger parking lot and it dies as i park it! got lucky on that one.... i think i figured out the alternator thing tho...

i noticed the brown wire was out of place that is supposed to in the connector that connects to the voltage regulator... would this make the alternator not charge. ive converted over to an internally regulated alternator so i have the little connector on the this connection for that....i had no idea what the brown wire was for so i used it for my electric choke. this could be the reason my choke would not work right and my alt. not work right....
i really need to clean the truck and take some pics
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

If you are talking about the little brown wire from the ignition, then this could be the problem with your alternator. The brown wire from the ignition is what excites the alternator to make it start charging. It is low voltage so it should not be used for a choke. (I am assuming that you don't have a one wire alternator).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote