The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
teamharvey

Brake Help !

Hey all,
I need to get my e-brake functional and I have missing pieces, but not exactly sure what I need. I am under the impression that blazers have dual e-brake cables, one to each rear wheel.
I have the following parts;

Cable from footbrake through firewall that goes halfway down drivers side frame.
Both rear cables coming out of rear wheels.

That is it, I am assuming that I am missing quite a bit.

Thanks,
Bret
teamharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
71swb4x4

If I remember correctly, the cable going down the frame should end with a c shaped bracket type thing. A cable should go from the pass side brake drum to the driver's side brake drum, and it will "go through" the C shaped bracket. I am explaining it really bad. I will try to find a picture.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
71swb4x4

You are missing a lot
Here is the drawing from the factory assembly manual. I don't remember it being this complicated.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
teamharvey

Thanks.........I don`t remember it looking like this as well. If this is correct, I am missing a hell of a lot.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:08 AM   #5
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

On my blazer, the cables come out of the brake drums and the housing attaches to points on the frame up near where the front of the leaf springs attach. There the cable parts are connected with a C clip type attachment to a cable that runs in a big U shape from one wheel cable to the other along the frame rails and along one crossmember in the front. On the drivers side, the cable from the pedal connects to this cable with a clamp type connector that has a long threaded part that is used as adjustment. All along the frame, the cable is connected with little metal rods that hold the cable suspended.

When the pedal is pressed it pulls on the cable that is in the U shape putting tension on both the wheel cables at the same time.

I know this is a terrible explaination. Maybe someone can grab pics of theirs. I'll try to get to it if someone else doesn't.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:11 AM   #6
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

dont worry u will remember what u forgot when u need to stop

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
teamharvey

ttt
Old 11-22-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
3 on the tree

missing e brake parts

If you go to msnusers.com/70bronzebeauty, you will find a picture of the underside of my 70 K5, it shows where the cable splits and all the hardware for the passenger side. I think the driver side is the same. The picture you want is on page 2,the most obvious thing i n the picture is the drive shaft, but enlarge it, and the e brake shows up well. Hope this helps. Mike
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 AM   #9
71RestoRod

Pic from the top...

Not a great picture (hope it works... linked to webshots) but I think you can see here how the cables attach. There are two short and one long frame "hooks". The intermediate cable attaches to the two rear brake cables with special cable clips.

71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

If all else fails, you could take a look at page 151 of the new LMC catalog. It's got a picture and part names. I'd post it but can't figure out how to get pictures posted. Sorry.

Bobbi
tim_and_bobbi_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #11
teamharvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_and_bobbi_blazer
If all else fails, you could take a look at page 151 of the new LMC catalog. It's got a picture and part names. I'd post it but can't figure out how to get pictures posted. Sorry.

Bobbi
I am looking at it right now, but there is no application for the front and inter cable.....nor are the side hooks listed.

Thanks guys,
Bret
Old 11-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #12
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

There's 2 hooks on my Blazer. One is about 12 inches long and the other is about 3 inches long. (they are at paint right now or I'd been a little more exact with the mesurements). The long one came off the right side (kind of like the picture in LMC shows) and the short one came from the left about half way down the frame. When I get it back together (hopefully next week), I'll send you a picture.

Bobbi
tim_and_bobbi_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #13
teamharvey

Did your hooks attach directly to the frame through a hole, or to a bracket bolted to the frame.
I am finding a couple of different applications via pictures and illustrations and it is getting confusing.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:30 PM   #14
71RestoRod

I found a couple more pictures that should help... I'd take more for you but the body is back on the frame now.

The short hooks go through holes in the top of the frame rails. You'll find the holes just in front of the body mount brackets.

The long hook goes through a slotted hole in a bracket that's riveted to the frame on the passenger side just behind the transfer case.

I have no idea what the e-brake setup depicted above is from (the factory assembly manual pic) but it is not for the Blazer.

The LMC illustration is for a truck. It is stylized at best and you are correct... they don't list the intermediate cable for the blazer.

You can make the short hooks yourself. Just bend up some rod from the hardware store (that's what I did). The longer one may be more difficult to form and would be worth making some calls to find OE.

I got my cables and clips from Inline Tube. They were a perfect fit, but I'll warn you that they are over-priced and the sales staff are a serious bunch of d#@&-headed SOBs. You can probably do a lot better with one of the vendors on this board.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #15
teamharvey

Thanks, I now see just how much mine is messed up.
I do not have a bracket on the passenger side for the long hook as well. I do have a question about a bracket I just found while looking. It is on the drivers side as shown in the pic.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 AM   #16
71RestoRod

That bracket holds the tail end of the front parking brake cable. The bracket that you are apparently missing would be located in the same place on the opposite frame rail. The bracket in front of it (behind the spedo cable) I'm guessing was used to hang the tail pipe w/ the original single exhaust.

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 11-24-2004 at 12:39 AM.