The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Zonaman

Widebed spare pics?

Like most wide bed guys I currently have my spare under the bed. Since I'm a very lucky man (though it's not often good) I'll get a flat in the middle of I-10 in Phoenix when the pavement doubles as a griddle. I'm wondering if any of you could post pictures of your bed mounted spares for me.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Spare?!?!

I just remembered I don't have oneUsually I slide mine up under the truckbox.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I never liked them under the truck. in this part of the world, the wheel gets real nasty from rain/mud/salt. Pulled one out fron under a shop truck and it was so rusty I was suprised it even held air.
In all reality, i have alway just let mine flop around in the bed...that is when ieven bother to carry it. I would recomend a lock of sorts, a bicycle cable lock would deter most would be thieves.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I found a fleetside mount in a junk yard in installed it just behind the cab on the driver's side. I don't know if that's stock, but I think it looks better than betwixt the tailgate and wheel well. Mounting it on the driver's side keeps it from creating any blind spots.

I can't post pix, but if you imagine this setup real hard...
Neighborhood Nuisance

98 BMW 540i for Speed (Sold )
05 Subaru Outback for mileage
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

when i first bought mine it had a lock on it so i had to cut the chain, then i didnt have a bumper back there so it looked real bad, so i pulled it down and there were cracks all over the ply tire, probably wouldnt even have held the weight of my truck. i might still have the bracket somewhere

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #6
dyingdeadman

I just threw a couple of split rims w/ok tires on them in the bed of mine for a spare. figure if someone really wants to steal them its no big loss.
dyingdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Huck

Several years back a board member took the spare tire well from a Suburban and mounted it into the floor on the drivers side of a LWB just behind the driver, along the quarter panel. It allowed the tire to sit verticle and down low enough to not be seen above the quarterpanel which was cool. I just don't have the hart to ruin a good bed floor to accomodate that solution. There are inner bed mounts that bolt to the floor and quarter panel for spare mounting but then it is very visable. You tend to not want too good a spare sticking up!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

Im currently running without a spare do to relocating my tank to this space but i wanted to chime in on my exp w under mounted spares...... its a waste of a good tire. Even with my Corvetter and all its attempts at protecting the spare the tire was still so disgusting that you didnt want to touch it let alone stic it on your truck. I plan on getting a mini and just making a nice cover for it and finding a spot in the bed for it or possibly even mounting it in a center section in my speaker box where the gas tank use to be.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote