The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
teamroper!

Backup lamp switch

Has any one with a 3spd manual had trouble locating a backup lamp switch at your local parts store. Every listing here in town is for an automatic or 4 spd. and it's discontinued from GM.
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Pilgrim

Can't get them at local store, either. Advance auto and NAPA have the same story.

LMC has had one, but it is cheesey and fails within a few weeks. Would like to be able to locate one that is made of good quality metal. I have just about decided to install a manual switch.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
teamroper!

This same switch also fits 62-66 passenger car with column shift exc p.g. and 4 sp. I haven't researched it any but I wonder if one from an automatic would work (if the terminals are the same) and not use the neutral safety part.
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #4
jimfulco

If you use a manual switch, wire up a pilot light so you don't drive around with the backup lights on all the time. You might also be tempted to turn them on to freak out tailgaters. I, of course, have never done either of these things.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Have you tried to repair the original switch? There is a small square piece of metal that slips into the column that slides to one side to activate the backup lights. This piece of metal bends or can collapse. I have taken a pair of pliers and straightened out the metal and filled it with epoxy or JB weld. This may not be what's wrong with your switch but it fixed mine and has been in use for several years since the repair. I have also fixed a couple others I took off parts trucks for spares.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the back up light switch that screws into the transmission case, not on the column of 3 speed trucks.

At least on my last 2 three speed trucks, that's where the back up light switch was.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Pilgrim

My 72 and 68 three speed truck the backup switch is on the steering column just inside the firewall with a two wire connector.

Just finished installing a manual switch with a red LED in the end of the toggle that lights when the backup lights are on. It is in the dash on the left side near trhe light switch and does get you attention. I used a hole that the PO had drilled. It will eventually be where the manual choke was on the right side. I suppose you could also get a flashing switch if necessary unitl after your first cuppa coffee in the morning...