The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

frame question

i saw somewhere on the board where a person put a burb body on a truck 4x4 frame and i was wondering if the truck long box and burb were the same frames? it would be nice to be able to do a complete frame and drivetrain resto and still be able to drive my burb. and im thinking it would be way easier to come up with a 72 half ton 2wheel drive long frame from a truck than from a burb.
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Rod

Not real sure what you want to know..but you can put a burb on a truck frame or vice-versa.

The body could be from either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, wouldn't matter there either.

The big differences are in the mounts off the frame to attach either the sub or truck body. The rubber body mounts are different between them also.

So anyway it can be done...let it be known what your swapping to what and help is available.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
Not real sure what you want to know..but you can put a burb on a truck frame or vice-versa.

The body could be from either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, wouldn't matter there either.

The big differences are in the mounts off the frame to attach either the sub or truck body. The rubber body mounts are different between them also.

So anyway it can be done...let it be known what your swapping to what and help is available.
right now i have a 72 halfton 5 lug burb it runs and drives fine....and i want to totally rebuild the frame drive train assembly, springs, bushings, body mounts, new engine tranny..the works...i was thinking if i could find another complete 72 frame assembly i could rebuild that and not take my burb out of service, and when it was done...put the burb body on the newly rebuilt chassis...but if i have to change all the body mounts and crossmembers that will be to much of a pain
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
right now i have a 72 halfton 5 lug burb it runs and drives fine....and i want to totally rebuild the frame drive train assembly, springs, bushings, body mounts, new engine tranny..the works...i was thinking if i could find another complete 72 frame assembly i could rebuild that and not take my burb out of service, and when it was done...put the burb body on the newly rebuilt chassis...but if i have to change all the body mounts and crossmembers that will be to much of a pain
Sounds like a second car would be much less hassle. Trust me. Even if the burb and trucks were identical down to the last lockwasher, swapping the bodies would be a major PITA. Just a frame-off resto is enough hassle. Such an undertaking should only be contemplated for replacing a rust bucket body. If you're not working in a resto shop, expect major delays over the tiniest details.

May I humbly suggest that, on this issue alone, you lack the insight needed to understand that your time is worth much more than you know.