The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
GreyHoundSteve

Opinions Wanted on interior painting

Alright, my cab is in primer and will be shot this week so i had to go take inventory of all the peices that need to be painted and decide what to spray which color.

Here is what i have going on: The truck is going to be painted Silver. The interior is leather and is covered in a two tone gray with the light gray being your typical light gray leather color and the dark gar being a shade lighter than a charcoal gray. The carpet is a charcoal gray close to the dark gray leather.

My delima is this. I have a bunch of missalanous interior and cab peices and im not sure what color i should paint them. The peices in question are:
The door hinges and striker plates
The brake pedal arm
The parking brake and cover (hand operated 67 style)
The ac ducting
Defrost vents and side vent housings (vents are chrome)
Steering wheel adaptor
Wiper arms
Tranmission indicator housing
Anything else im missing?

Here is what im leaning towards but its hard for me because i only had the truck for 3 days before i tore it all apart and i dont have much frame of reference since everything was painted black before but im leaning towards this:

The door hinges and striker plates - Silver or black? I'd like to go silver since the only black i will have on the truck for certain is the vent window assembly but im not sure if the strikers take a beating and would look bad in silver? Input would be appreciated.

The brake pedal arm - Silver, black or dark gray? The pedals will be new rubber and have the chrome beauty rings on them but what color should i paint the brake pedal arm? Silver would match the cab but dark gray would match the carpet but black is the old fail safe. What do you guys think?

The parking brake and cover (hand operated 67 style) - Silver, black, dark gray or covered in leather? I'm really lost on this one. I personally dont like the look of this brake so i am planning on buying a cover for it but im not sure if i should paint it or cover it in leather to match the seats?

The ac ducting - Silver, black or dark gray? Im not sure how much of this is even seen but the less its noticed the better so should i paint it to match the cab (silver) or match the carpet (dark gray) or black (hopefully not notice it at all then)?

Defrost vents and side vent housings (vents are chrome) - Silver, dark gray or black? The top of the dash will have a custom leather cover with holes cut in it for the defrost vents but i still havent decided what color to cover it yet. I wanted to do the dark gray leather but then i thought it might fade or show alot of dirt. Any input is appreciated here.

Steering wheel adaptor - Black or Dark gray? Im pretty much sold on dark gray on this since the apc steering wheel will be wrapped in the dark gray leather but if i decide to add in a bunch of other black peices then i may leave this black also.

Wiper arms - Back or chrome? I bought the windshield rubber without the chrome trim because i didnt want alot of chrome on my truck but the wiper arms come in chrome so do you think i should paint them black?

Tranmission indicator housing - Silver, black or dark gray? The column is goign to be painted silver to match the cab, should the trans lense holder be silver to match?

Also, if anyone has any pictures to back up their opinions PLEASE post them.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
GreyHoundSteve

anyone?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
mdazb

Greyhound bus lines?

98 HD Fatboy

09 HD Heritage Softail
05 Honda Element
mdazb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
TugOwar

In my opinion the black would normally be the contrast color, to break up large expanses of some other solid color. But you already have the contrast with the two tone grey so I would keep the black to a minimum, if at all.

The "low chrome" look is one that I like and what I'm shooting for on my 68 GMC. If you're going to have chrome mirrors then I would go with chrome wiper arms for a balanced look, otherwise go black.

Post plenty of pics when done!
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

Can't go wrong with black.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #6
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugOwar
In my opinion the black would normally be the contrast color, to break up large expanses of some other solid color. But you already have the contrast with the two tone grey so I would keep the black to a minimum, if at all.

The "low chrome" look is one that I like and what I'm shooting for on my 68 GMC. If you're going to have chrome mirrors then I would go with chrome wiper arms for a balanced look, otherwise go black.

Post plenty of pics when done!
Well i had originally bought m3 led sport mirrors for my truck but once i recieved them i realized that it would be impossible to mount them with split windows and a single window conversion isnt in the budget right now so i bought some 4" peep mirrors in the meantime however those and the door handles should be the extent of the chrome on the exterior on my truck (rims too). On the interior the steering wheel is aluminum and i bought the aluminum dress up kit and shifter but i am going to have the knobs redone in the same solid surface material that my gauge bezel and glove box door is made of which is a product made by Avonite and is called "black ice" which looks like black granite so there will be some black in the truck but very little.

I am VERY anxous to post some pics of my project as it is all that i have been doing for the past month but one delay after the next has really pushed it back further than i had hoped. It seems that for everything i replace or customize i notice 3 more things that need replacing as well. My cab should be painted by the end of this week and then i will begin wiring it, insulating it and hopefully installing the interior. The buckets are done but the center console and speaker box (where the gas tank was) still need to be made and the door and kick panels need to be covered still.

Ive been getting most of my labor for free but a plane is about to come in and then my prject will be sidelined for awhile until it gets slow again but im hoping i can get the cab back together first.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
Bob Moore

E-Brake Cover

GHS

I'm having trouble with the e-mail address or something because my message is unable to be delivered. I tried yesterday and today with no success.

PM me with it again.

Thanks - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

My two cents worth; well maybe only 1-1/2 cents

Door hinges: color of outside of truck
Striker plate: plated as from factory
Brake pedal arm: spray bomb semi-gloss or satin black (easy to touch up if needed)
AC ducting: leave as factory
Defrost vents: same as whtever color you paint the top of the dash. As a word of caution when you paint the top of the metal dash use a semi-gloss paint or you will be blinded by the light.
Steering wheel adapter: same as brake pedal arm
Wiper arms: factory chrome finish
Transmission indicator: same as brake pedal arm
Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 PM   #9
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
Brake pedal arm: spray bomb semi-gloss or satin black (easy to touch up if needed)
Defrost vents: same as whtever color you paint the top of the dash. As a word of caution when you paint the top of the metal dash use a semi-gloss paint or you will be blinded by the light.
That's the way I'd go with it too except the wheel adapter and trans indicator the same color as the column.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #10
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
I agree on the hinges matching the cab.
what do you mean that the striker plate was plated ? mine is bare metal now?
Brake pedal, i was leaning toawards black but ive seen some pretty cool painted ones.
ac ducting was painted black by po so i will most likely reshoot it black again but was considering painting it to match the cab or the carpet but im not sure how much of it is even seen, if someone has a pic of their under dash diverter box i would like to see how much of it is even visable.
The top of the dash will be covered with a custom dash pad extending to the windshield.
Still not sure about the steering wheel adaptor but i might wait untill everything else is installed first to decide on this.
The wiper arms arent chrome anymore either. They are a dull metal and will most likely be painted black. The po had some double autozone chromed plastic looking blades that disgusted me so much that i think im doing to try black 1st.
The trans indicator will probably be painted cilver to match the column and dash but if anyone has pics of contrasting colors on this part i'd be interested in seeing them.

Thanks for your responses guys.