The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2004, 07:00 AM   #26
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70orangeboy
hey all, just finally getting the stuff to convert the front end to discs.
i was hoping you guys could give me some reasons why i want to do this.
i know there are some defiinite benefits but from what i understand, drums have more actual braking power, but the discs don't lock up as easy so does that make you able to stop faster, or what? a list of benefits is what i am after. please help
You want to know why? 'Cause drums are ugly. I think your stopping distances will be reduced swapping to discs but not by much. Why? Because TIRES are what stops a vehicle. If your drum/drum system will lock the wheels up or close to it then it won't get too much better. Maybe a little. I agree with most all the benefits of discs that the others have listed. Basically, what I'm trying to say is if your brake system is in good mechanical condition and working properly don't expect a drastic improvement. There will be some. If your drum brakes aren't in the greatest of condition now, then you will see more of a improvement. Even swapping to 4 wheel disc won't change a lot. Once you get to the point that the tires loose traction, or are capable of easily loosing traction, your brake distances will increase. I have Baer 13" rotors with PBR two piston calipers on the front, stock rear disc and a hydraboost unit from Hydratech. I don't think I'd outbrake a good disc/drum or disc/disc set up by much with some stock type wheels/tires. I think the hydraboost will give me a slight edge. What will allow me to stop faster will be the 18X15 rear wheels and 18X10 front wheels (read TIRES). If you really want to stop better get as wide of tire as you can and reduce the sidewall. Rubber bands are not necessary. All the other crap will do, is to allow me to stop over and over and over and over and from triple digit speeds without (hopefully) any issues.