The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Cheap things to do to your truck

Ok it it the begining of Dec and I have no money, but I do have about a month to putz around on the Blazer. So what are some cheap things I could do on the truck over the winter break. I don't have a heated garage but my father does 45 minutes away.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
dons454s

How about some paint or under coat touch up in the wheel wells or body paint touch up. Detail work around the wheels. This is the stuff I hate doing even know its about free to do. lol
dons454s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
dylan1970

Have done anything with your interior yet? Maybe change the seats.... add a console.... something along those lines. You could probably get some seats at a local scrap yard for really cheap! Good luck, don't forget to post pics of your progress
dylan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

I would buy a gallon of flat or semi gloss rustoleum for $10 and a few brushes- brush it on the frame, axles and wheel wells. I did this to my old 82 and it held up very well for years and looked awesome. I pressure washed everything first and did some minor spot cleaning, otherwise no more prep req'd.
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
72MARIO

If I want something to do that's Cheep I usually stay away from my trucks !

The more I am around them the more I spend.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
steve75104
Another 69-20 years later

Back when I had more energy than funds, I'd really detail things on my truck. Not only cleaned but made certain things lined up and were properly tightened. Really checked the details...
steve75104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Build your own custom stereo stuff......make it look cool and sound good.....speakers really aren't exensive anymore....PLUS you can go to a local junkyard and pirate Inifinity Kappas out of late model Dodges......have fun!!! also, how does your blazer top look? Maybe a real good cleaning and maybe a dye job if its real crappy?????
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
krazy_texan

completly clean it inside and out almost going as far as removing seats and what not, and general maintanence kinda stuff
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

How are your brakes? Largely ignored until noisy, but very important. Often, if caught in time, pretty cheap to maintain/replace.

How long since the wheel bearings were packed? Lube job, to include all zerk fittings, hinges, linkages?

Just some items off my list of stuff that needs doing...

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

All depends on what you call cheap. Quite a few of the things listed here I do not call cheap.
Seats and a console at a junk yard...$75 at a minimum...not cheap.
Stereo stuff....even the wall mart crap is not cheap.

What I do, is go over the entire truck, make a couple lists of things that you want to address. There eill be thousands of dollars worth of stuff on your list, but then, as you look through the list, you'll see things you can do something about that is cheap/free.
Detail the engine. Remove all the accesories, put alluminum foil over the motor mounts and frame and stuff, and paint the motor. While that is drying, paint all the stuff you took off. $15 - $20 in paint, and that's decent engine paint that'll last a few years untill you can pul the motor for rebuild/replacement.
Gut the interior, take the carpet to a coin operated car wash, drape it over the hood and have at it. You'll be amazed at the filth in it. Scrub the seats and the stock console. Maybe detail it all a little, paint the heater box, you know it is all scratched up, the throttle and btake arms need a good coat of paint, get all the crap out of the grooves in the pedals. Remove the panels and clean them carefully with a mild detergent and water. Not only will it look better when you're done, you'll run the risc of finding the build sheet (score!), you'll know what needs replaced a bit better, and it'll get rid of that funny 'old truck' smell that your girlfriend b!tches about.
That oughta take a couple days right there.
Crawl underneath it and find out what that rattle is, inspect the exhaust, paint the rear drums with engine paint. A pet peve of mine...stand back from your ride...across the street maybe, look at all the ugly things that shoe. The rusted rear end and springs, the grame rails, the drive shaft...Paint them all black. A wire brush to remove the rust, and shoot it with rustolium. No, it won't look professional, but it won't be shouting HEY LOOK AT MY RUSTY STUFF! from under the truck.
Wash and wax the body, not only will it look a bit better, but you'll have a close up to all the damage and rust...a better idea of what kind of body work is down the road. (if it is in primer, skip the wax)
Spend a day as stated above, hitting everything with a wrench. You'll be amazed at what all is loose. Find out why there is a spot of motor oil in your parking spot in the drive way. It's probably valve covers...cheap and easy. Where is the coolant going? Easy to figure if you take the time and look real deep with a flashlight.

Just rub it with a diaper all week, maybe a cheap trip to the local junk yards...you might find a $25 tilt column out of a van!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
garold99

Change the oil and all the filters. Give it a tune up. Those usually take me a month to do
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote