The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
crustysarge

Rear Lights wiring change

I have to make some changes to my rear lights for the European inspection, must have yellow rear turn signals. I am thinking about putting a yellow bulb in the reverse socket and wire it to the turn signal circuit. I could then install a white or clear light down by the bumper for a reverse. The red cannot blink with the yellow. Now, does the turn signal and brake light work on the same circuit and get controlled by the coulmn switch? How do I need to wire this?

Other ideas?
crustysarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
gmc67swb

We have dual filament bulbs in our trucks.(integrated brake lights) The socket is the ground. The left side has a Yellow(left turn) and Brown wire. The right side has Green(right turn) and Brown. The Brown wire is the tail lights. The reverse lights are light green. If you just switched the wires that operate your turn signals, your turn signals would both come on when you hit your brakes. I think you may need a turn signal switch that has seperate turn/brake lights.(non-integrated). I'm sure someone on here could figure out a way.

Try this site:http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/taillghts.html

Last edited by gmc67swb; 12-12-2004 at 04:46 PM.
gmc67swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Actually, there is a member who is overseas who has done the exact mod as you need to do.
If I remember correctly, he said he had to run wires for left and right from the signal switch, to the back up lights (new turn signal lights). I don't recall how he did the brake lights, nor how he kept the turn signal lights lighting with the brakes.
I'll have to look at my schematics here and see if I can figure it out for you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #4

Rear light wiring change

Connect the yellow wire from left turn signal to left backup light, green wire from right turn signal to right backup light, leaving light green wires for your added on backup lights. Go under the dash, either cut or unplug the white wire from the stoplight switch. Run another wire from that side of the stoplight switch to the rear and connect to both tailight/stoplights , yellow and green wires. Be sure to insulate the loose end of the white wire under the dash as power may feed back through it from the turn signals. Install your amber bulbs in the backup lights and you should have it.
72402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Looking at the schematics, if you were to take the white wire on the brake switch, and cut it, then take both the yellow and dark green wires from where the tail light harness goes through the firewall, and splice them together, your red lenses would be only park/running lights, and brake lights. NO blinking red...onless you are pumping the brakes.
Then, take the yellow wire that is dangling, and run it to the left back up light, wire it in and it'll now be the left turn signal, do the same with the right side but hook it to the dark green wire, then you'll be set. Make sure that you disable the light green wire that connects the two back up lights together, if you fail to do this, then both will blink when ever you turn on either side turn signal.
Then, for your back up lights, take the light green wire and run it to some sort of white light...under the bumper style fog lights are great for this, only takes one, and it could be pretty much hidden underneath untill you pop it in reverse.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

man I type slow.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #7

They say great minds think alike.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

So you agree I type slow then?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:34 PM   #9

Actually, I was referring to your wiring solution, but since you brought it up, hehe.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

Lol!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:37 AM   #11
crustysarge

Thanks guys, saved me some work!!!!
crustysarge is offline   Reply With Quote