The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
GreyHoundSteve

Where to mount rear plate?

I bought my 67 with a rear rollpan that does not have a place to mount the rear license plate. Im in TX and i know that i couldnt make it 10 miles without getting pulled over without a rear plate so my question is this; Does anyone make a plate holder that mounts to the rear window or something? I'm also open to other suggestions as well. I had originally planned to just replace my rollpan with one that has a plate holder but the rear of the truck looks so clean without it. I thought if someone made something that could be wired for lights and mounted to the rear window that would be my best option since the space behind your head is useless anyway .... anyone know who makes something like this and where i could find one?
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

I know this isn't what you asked for, but your question made me think of the license plate brackets that the manufacturers used to put on trucks they shipped without bumpers. They have a built-in light, and are made to fasten under the truck and hang the tag low enough to be seen. Probably wouldn't work on a lowered truck, but would be a cheap solution in some cases. Might work for you as a temporary solution.

You can often find them in the junkyard on trucks with step bumpers, just hanging there unused.

SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift_or_walk
I know this isn't what you asked for, but your question made me think of the license plate brackets that the manufacturers used to put on trucks they shipped without bumpers. They have a built-in light, and are made to fasten under the truck and hang the tag low enough to be seen. Probably wouldn't work on a lowered truck, but would be a cheap solution in some cases. Might work for you as a temporary solution.

You can often find them in the junkyard on trucks with step bumpers, just hanging there unused.

SSOW
My truck will be lowered considerably and that is one of the main reasons i was wanting to find a new spot for it. Even on the rollpans that have the plate mount the plate seems to hang down a bit. If my truck already had this style rollpan i would leave it but since its the style w/o im trying to find another spot for it. Someone told me once that they saw a kit that is plastic and houses the plate and comes with a light that mounts to the rear window but i have never seen anything like this anywhere and was wondering if maybe someone on this board has?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

My plate is "frenched" into a smoothed gate.....its a bit of work, but pretty clean IMO. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I restored a '40 F&*D sedan once and the owner had some vacuum operated mechanism under the rear rollpan that the plate would flip out only when the car was started. Do not know what it was but maybe some of you streetrod guys might know what it was. Car was really slammed too and never had any problems with it.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #6
longnlow72

you can frnch it in the tailgate, get the flip down bracket, or the once that mounts between the cab and bed and is motorized and lifts up
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:08 AM   #7
3 on the tree

Go but a trailer wiring kit. The one I bought came with a license plate holder with light and about 20 feet of wiring along with the two taillights.
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:39 AM   #8
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

auto flip plate

Here ya go... this will do the trick and make everyone go WOW !
GOOD LUCK
Old 12-11-2004, 01:39 AM   #9
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

OOPS ! forgot the link

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....CategoryID/288
Old 12-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #10
Majician

Quote:
Someone told me once that they saw a kit that is plastic and houses the plate and comes with a light that mounts to the rear window but i have never seen anything like this anywhere and was wondering if maybe someone on this board has?

I don't know about Texas, but here in Illinois a plate in the back window is "improper display of registration". The law states that the plate must be on the rear of the vehicle, you may want to check your laws to be sure.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #11
MOTHERTRUCKERS

I saw one on a truck that was a hinged plate that hung off the rear crossmember behind the rollpan, from 10 foot you would never notice it but from 20 foot it was visible from behind. He said he hinged it so if it dragged the ground it would swing up instead of bend or scrape.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
GreyHoundSteve

Thanks for your replies guys. I like that motorized one but at $200 i would be concerned about backing down a driveway and ruining it. I wonder if it can be manually bent back without damaging the motor? To be honest .... i would probably rather spend $140 on a new roll pan than $200 on something like that and have to worry about it getting damaged. I'm still hoping i will see something else before i get that far along. If you guys see anything else post a link for me.
Thanks
Chris