The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
GreyHoundSteve

Fuel Injection

Yes its time to visit this topic again. I'd like everyones opinions on which fuel injection system makes the most sense for one of these old trucks? I supose the more economical move would be to do a l98, lt1 or even ls1 engine swap and thats still an option but i'd like everyones opinions on the following systems and include any opinions on systems i left out too.
LPE/Accel SuperRam
TPIS mini-ram
Holley Stealth ram
Edlebrock performance multi-port efi
GM Ram jet
I'm still a ways off from doing an engine swap but i want to keep me eye on ebay for one of these systems or engines and i'd like everyones opinions on which is the best system and why they feel this way? I am also considering just swapping in a later model engine and i like the old aluminum head l98's because they are simple and i am familiar with them but they dont put out much hp compared to an lt1 or ls1 but then they start getting harder to work on and more complicated (and expensive to repair). Another advantage of a late model swap would be that i could swap out tranny's to one with OD. I want to use my truck as a daily driver so it will see 20k a year and should be simple, economical and yet fun. What do you think is my best option here?
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

If you want, you can buy an LT1 intake and get it machined to bolt onto an old style small block. It performs with similar numbers to a SuperRam, and looks better doing it. Depending on the engine you want to build, you can run it as speed density or MAF, and will probally want bigger injectors. The rest is stock TPI components / sensors.

I'd run speed density on a bigger engine that will be needing more than 650 CFM, and MAF on anything smaller (while taking the screens out to boost air flow) you might need to upgrade the injectors as well, depending on how big you are going with the new engine.

I wouldn't pay more than 150 for a complete intake with injectors (350 LT1 has 24 lb / hr injectors or something similar, plenty big for a 350), fuel rails (94 + only, 93 has an odd fuel rail crossover that doesn't work too well) throttle body with all the sensors and whatever else comes with the thing.

Machining will be about 300 bucks by lt1intake.com, along with another 150 - 200 bucks for anything else you may need. This is all under the assumption you already have an EFI setup, if you don't this could cost quite a bit more to get the TPI stuff you'd need.

Last edited by Russell; 12-14-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
GreyHoundSteve

Thanks for your reply russell. I have been to the lt1intake website and the guy who does them seems like a straight shooter so that is another option. Thanks for reminding me.
The problem is that i dont already have a fi motor and infact the 350 i do have is a 2 bolt main and not worthy of spending any $ on. A stock tpi set up would probably be more than adaquate for it but i'd rather spend the money on a better intake to put on a nicer motor.
I have considered swapping my engine out for a L98 and 700r4 but its cheaper to swap in an lt1 because of availability. Im not crazy about lt1's for trucks though. Plus the lt1 has the reverse flow rad so it would require more mods and the coil packs are a pain and expensive and over all ive found that a well tuned L98 is just as fast as a equally tuned lt1 its just a matter of having the power in a different rpm range and lets face it ...... these trucks arent built for high speeds.

What i'm leaning towards doing is either buying a 86+ corvette L98 and 700r4 or buying a crate motor and using one of the above set ups. I like the accel super ram and have seen them sell on ebay with computer for just over a grand which is about a third of retail. The problem is, once you add all the accesories to a crate motor youve spent alot of money.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
mt Al

Have you considered keeping the existing motor/tranny and putting on a simple TBI unit from a place like http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/?

The options you listed sound much funner, for sure. However, this one will cost about $1,000 for everything and it appears (?) like a fairly simple install, save for the return line, no idea how to put the fuel return back into the stock tank (any hints here?).

I'd love to do mine simply to deal with cold starts/flooding here in MT.
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHoundSteve
...... these trucks arent built for high speeds.
They weren't originally anyway. How fast can a brick fly is the question I intend on answering. Just watching this thread, no other response as you know what I'll say.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

just from what I have heard about tuning nightmares I would stay away from Holley or Edelbrock systems. the GM ramjet sounds good as well as the Accell. speaking from a data acquisition (sp) & out-put control standpoint.
for power to simplicity-cost basis the TPI system wins hands down. I my self would go with a TBI setup due to the bare bonz factor. they are capable of quite sufficient power with respectable fuel economy.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
69sixpackbee

I built the Megasquirt for my 402 and put a '91, 454 TBI on it. Not done yet but close. Fully programmable and adaptable for TBI, or MPI.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
I built the Megasquirt for my 402 and put a '91, 454 TBI on it. Not done yet but close. Fully programmable and adaptable for TBI, or MPI.
can you tell me more about the megasquirt? Maybe a link to somewhere that has some good info on it?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
69sixpackbee

Here is the website:http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
There is ALOT of help direceted especially towards this setup here:http://www.msefi.com/index.php
Here is a pic of the custom overhead panel I made fore the Megaview which is the supplemental on-board monitor and programmer so you can "tweak" the parameters and monitor it constantly while driving:http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=4558
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:27 PM   #10
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

As far as a daily driver goes it's hard to beet the deals on low milage vortecs that are complete. I priced building a mild 350 and th400 and the differences with that and the mods needed to a stock vortec with wiring issues,I'm going with stock vortec. JMO

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 PM   #11
minibike

If it is going to be a daily driver, I would definitely go LT1 or LS1. The power is really impressive, and the mileage will beat anything else you could put in it. If you can get the whole donor car, there are a bunch of parts that will work in the truck, including the stock 94 radiator and fans. I have this in my truck. The only problem is you need to notch the top fo the frame rail around the stock AC compressor if you are going to have AC. There are pictures on my website, if you are interested. I used all of the serpentine system, radiator, fans, ps reservoir, condensing coils, exhaust manifolds, MAF sensor, etc.

If I were doing it now, I would probably go ahead and put an LS1 in it. I'm running the vette spec LT1, with camaro serpentine. This is 10.5:1 compression motor that will run on regular gas down the highway and you can put premium in it if you want the computer to advance the timing a little more. The Auto overdrive works great with the 373 gears, too.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 AM   #12
4x4Poet

Assuming no porting, I think you'd get the most power, cubic inch for cubic inch, with the Ramjet 350 (or Ramjet 502 Doh!). The Ramjet's intake runners are so efficient that they don't need large throttle bodies. I can't, with surety, speak to mileage among your roller cam EFI choices. I would prefer to install the Ramjet intake and EFI stuff on a roller-equipped block of my choosing that I built to my preferences and balanced/blueprinted specs. Should be cheaper that way.

Besides the cost concerns, Ramjets come from GM as open loop systems. Street & Performance makes wiring harnesses that make the Ramjets into closed loop systems. A must do, IMHO. I'm sure other custom EFI vendors or wiring harness makers can do the same. Also, the Ramjets may lack clutch z-bar stud bosses. That's a concern with factory EFI engines for all mechanical clutch users.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 12-16-2004 at 03:50 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote