The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2004, 03:02 AM   #1
duke68ss

Question First Step...Again.

Hey Everyone.. Its been awhile since I've been on but I'm starting to work on my 68 again but the problem is I have so much to do where do I get started? I know everyone here has had that overwhelming feeling. This is what I have goin for me so far.. Motor and tranny are in.. no acessories on just the motor and trans. no rad. either I have my no limit gauges in and they are all wired but the rest of the interior is gutted. I need to take the fuel tank out so I can drop my fuel cell in under the bed.. other than that I still need front disc brakes and redo the suspension.. WHERE DO I START? Someone, anyone, everyone help me out here.. what makes the most sense where to start my project up again? Thanks everyone.. I'll try and post some pics this week..
duke68ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
68LSS1

I prefer working from the ground up. Especially if space is limited at least the frame/truck is mobile. I'd say do the brakes and suspension, then fuel cell, back to the engine compartment and then interior.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

You around Sacramento? I like workin on these trucks.... Could offer you a hand.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke68ss
WHERE DO I START? Someone, anyone, everyone help me out here.. what makes the most sense where to start my project up again?
Since it's been a while since you've done anything, remember to always use the K.I.S.S. method. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
The best place to start, or in your case Re-start, is in the suspension, then proceed to the drivetrain. If your okay with the way the suspension is for now, then go ahead with all "mechanical" aspects so you can, at least, get it back and forth dependably from where ever it might need to go.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
minibike

68lss1 has the right idea. Once you get the rolling chassis, you can roll it in and out of your work area, if you need to clean or work on something else. I would definitely get a rolling chassis. I got all of the brakes and suspension done, dropped the motor and tranny.

After that, the radiator support seemed to be the next best thing...this allows you to get the mechanicals done without leaning over fenders. I did the gas tank and fuel and brake lines along the frame next. Then cab, then exhaust.

That should keep you busy a while.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
duke68ss

Thanks alot you guys... I think I have my route all planned out. This is my first project that I am taking seriously and I really want to do everything the way I want, right the first time. I'll post pics this weekend on what I have to work with. Probably gonna start with suspension and brakes.. I do have a question tho.. I have a 6 lug drum set up all the way around and I want to convert over to 5 lug with drop spindles in the front. I know it will be time consuming but how hard is it to get all the spindles set up from a cut spring..ghetto previous owner.. to a dropped spindle disc brake setup... I want to lower the truck about 4" in the front .. or somewhere close to that.. and 6" in the back.. I have leaf springs in the back and cut coils in the front.. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks again everyone!!!! By the way chickenwing I'm from the Bay Area... Pacifica
duke68ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:05 AM   #7
purple gas

It's been my experience that when it comes to fixing up vehicles, the question inevitably evolves from "Where do I start?" to. "Where do I stop?"
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:24 AM   #8
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple gas
It's been my experience that when it comes to fixing up vehicles, the question inevitably evolves from "Where do I start?" to. "Where do I stop?"
Ouch , that is so true. As far as your drop go with the 4/6 and you'll get new springs for the front. If you get a brake kit you can get dropped spindles and springs with them. So the cut springs won't matter. I'd definately replace the springs as the stock springs are a constant rate spring and are too stiff when cut.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

ouch. Bit far. Hopefully we will have a NorCal board meet one day.