The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
beaterC10

Question Chop Top as a daily driver?

I may have a chance to buy a 4" chopped cab with shaved doors for my 84. I posted this same question on the 73-97 board and no replys, maybe one of you 67-72 guys can help.

Is a chop top too much hassle for a daily driver? Some of the issues I can think of are:

Will the windshield and rear window leak after the rubber seal is cut down?

I would guess the seat would have to be lowered or replaced to get head room. I am 6' 2" so I expect some issues here.

Would the column have to be dropped lower from the dash to match up with a lower seat.

The other concern I have is with shaved doors and living in the midwest were ice and snow are common. I can envision a dead battery and frozen doors.

Does anyone have any real world experience driving a chop top truck or with shaved doors?

I would appreciate any input

dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Don't do it as a daily driver. When was the last time you saw one of these trucks driving around everyday chopped and shaved? There's a reason why you haven't!!!
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
Don't do it as a daily driver. When was the last time you saw one of these trucks driving around everyday chopped and shaved? There's a reason why you haven't!!!

what reason would that be

Last edited by Alexis; 12-08-2004 at 08:22 PM. Reason: i can't spell
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I don't know about your height and the issues, ( I'm 5'-2") But a friend had a 56 2 door wagon he had chopped and shaved. He drove it daily in Spokane Washington, ( snow and Ice) for 9 years before I moved.. You seal the window rubber to be sure it doesn't leak. I would think a Tilt column would be all you would have to do for the steering issues. If there are any.

I'm getting ready to put shaved doors on my truck, I will go with a 2 Battery set up and an emergency cable release just for safety sake.

Measure from the top of your head to the roof, OR even better, Could you put a seat in the Chopped Cab to see how you fit ??!!
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have a 4" chop on my 69, & still love the look..... but i will say at 5' 9", I sure wouldnt have wanted the top any shorter! the biggest thing I would complain about, is having to stop a ways back from the traffic lights to see them (without tilting my head). Mine is not a daily driver, so i just live with the old "hotrod" quirks.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
Sweet72

Stiff suspension, chopped top and speed bumps = lumps on the 'ol grape!
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Vince Putt
Hippy

Be aware that the 73-87 chevy trucks have a raised floor area under the seat to clear the frame rails and saddle tanks. You would have to have a pretty thin seat if the height is a problem. Tilt wheel may or not be necessary. The easy way to see if yould be comfortable is have someone hold a 2x4 or similair item in the windsheild area swhile your in the seat of a buddys truck and see if you would feel comfortable with the view of the windsheild. Fit of the glass would be an issue if it wasn't chopped right. I've chopped a 80's version for a tall guy it may be an issue. when a top is chopped on one of these trucks the roof is actually cut in 4 pieces and a donor roof panel is installed the A pillers are pulled back and the tops of the doors are lengthened. Vent windows are pretty much a get rid of them kinda thing. One piece custom glass has to be made for the doors. Shaved doors are not a real problem but be aware it's very advisable to make a emergency mechanical entry. I'm betting unless all the glass is fitted that the body guy found out he pooched this thing up and doesn't really know how to fix it. So he figured he'll sell it of to some one that is a bit more guilible and is pumped about having something unique.Stay away from it unless you see it with the doors fitted and glass installed.
Vince Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #8
beaterC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Putt
Fit of the glass would be an issue if it wasn't chopped right. I've chopped a 80's version for a tall guy it may be an issue. when a top is chopped on one of these trucks the roof is actually cut in 4 pieces and a donor roof panel is installed the A pillers are pulled back and the tops of the doors are lengthened.
Thanks for the insights and comments. Pulling the A pillars back would change the fit of the windshield in a big way wouldn't it? The guy did say he split the top into 4 sections. I'll be ready to quickly walk away on Saturday when I look at it.

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
smokekiki
Mike

There is a black 85 running around Reading,pa. that is chopped 3-4".The top was split into 4 pieces so the posts would not need to be layed back.It also has the vent windows.That is the biggest clue.The top of the vent is cut off.It would look better with 1 piece windows.As far as shaved doors go,You need some kind of manual release,for backup,no matter were You live!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
67chevemall

Why not?

Last edited by 67chevemall; 07-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #11
beaterC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall
Why not?
How much is that chopped? Do you have any issues with getting the windows to seal? How often do you drive this?

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #12
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Yeah why not? Even if it wasnt chopped people have shaved handles and that would be your biggest problem. I put a plug so if the battery goes dead I can get juice to the battery to operate the doors. As far as comfort you are a big boy.I lowered my seat 2in. and Im 5'7.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #13
GreyHoundSteve

imo your going to be in for a headache .... literally. I'm 6'2 and i cant imagine losing 4" of headroom and not bumping your noggin often without some serous mods.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHoundSteve
imo your going to be in for a headache .... literally. I'm 6'2 and i cant imagine losing 4" of headroom and not bumping your noggin often without some serous mods.
I'm 6' 3" and cut my top about 2.75". I have only done mockup of seats in the cab because I'm still working on it, but I didn't feel cramped. I don't plan any cross-country trips in it, but that's what I have family car for.

As for shaved door handles... it sounds like you've never had them before. You'll need to learn some of the tricks-o-the-trade if you don't want to get screwed. Aside from a very hidden (and locked) stainless wire manual release (so I don't need battery to open), I also keep the ignition key on a separate key ring from the remote that opens the doors. When I open the doors, I NEVER remove the remote from my pocket... that way it never ends up locked in the truck with me stuck on the outside (unless I manage to lose my pants for some strange reason... stranger things have happened ) Last, but not least, buy a cell phone
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
I'm 6' 3" and cut my top about 2.75". I have only done mockup of seats in the cab because I'm still working on it, but I didn't feel cramped.

and I'll bet that when Kenneth was in the seat doing his MOK-UP. He was Going .... Vroom, Vroom, Vrooooomm ,Vroooommm !!!!!

RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #16
Vince Putt
Hippy

Beater C10 private message sent
Vince Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON WOODGEARD
and I'll bet that when Kenneth was in the seat doing his MOK-UP. He was Going .... Vroom, Vroom, Vrooooomm ,Vroooommm !!!!!

Almost. Remember... the truck's got a 6 cylinder
Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #18
bagged91
Out draggin'

Here is a picture of a friend of mines '73 C10. While not a daily driver, he does drive it to some longdistance shows. He is about 6'2" and goes close to 300 lbs. He is using late 70's F body buckets with a factory tilt.

When he & his dad did the chop, they laid the windshield back and still kept the vent window. IMO, it just makes it look nicer laid back like that. I don't remember how much they chopped it though...

As far as shaved handles goes, I drove my forever under construction 91' Sierra(pic below), bagged, bodydropped & fully shaved EVERYDAY for over 2 years, through rain, sleet, snow, hail, icestorms & even a flood with no problems with the bags or doors(just lost my exhaust one time and went through 3 rollpans, a cab corner thanks to a pothole and one front valance) Just make sure you leave yourself an alternative way to get in to the car incase of a dead battery either in the car or the keyfob........ One other thing, go with a good high quality soloniod, not a cheapy one or a power door lock soloniod. Autolock makes a nice 35# & 50# soloniods, worthit in the long run. Friend of mine had an AIM soloniod kit that lasted for 3 weeks, and another had a Mr.Gasket one that lasted 1 week. Mine have been in for 3+ YEARS w/o a hitch. Oh, the only reason I'm not draggin/driving the truck now is it's off the road now getting ready to be redone in spring..... Drivin' the beater the Caprice wagon...
Attached Images

72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:50 AM   #19
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged91
Just make sure you leave yourself an alternative way to get in to the car incase of a dead battery either in the car or the keyfob........
A micro-tip for those of you who have a dead remote battery and are locked out... if you vigorously shake the remote for a moment, you can often get one more click out of it.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
BOSS
Just here to help

XXL that is sooo funny,LOL.You never take it out of your pocket remember.
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #21
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn
I have a 4" chop on my 69, & still love the look..... but i will say at 5' 9", I sure wouldnt have wanted the top any shorter! the biggest thing I would complain about, is having to stop a ways back from the traffic lights to see them (without tilting my head). Mine is not a daily driver, so i just live with the old "hotrod" quirks.....crazyL
I can see the stoplights reflecting off of my hood.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #22
cc_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd
I can see the stoplights reflecting off of my hood.
Why not just get a stop light finder. It's just a prism that allows you to see the lights. My dad's 30 model A is chopped and channelled, seeing the lights is easy with the prism. Keeping you neck from snapping when the light changes is a different issue

Here's one on E-pay
traffic light viewer
86 K20

Last edited by cc_bob; 12-19-2004 at 12:29 PM.
cc_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #23
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bob
Why not just get a stop light finder. It's just a prism that allows you to see the lights. My dad's 30 model A is chopped and channelled, seeing the lights is easy with the prism. Keeping you neck from snapping when the light changes is a different issue

Here's one on E-pay
traffic light viewer
one thing for sure ......there are a lot of "sharp " guys(gals too ) on this board I dont have the paint on the topside of the truck to show a reflection .....but the prizm should work crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #24
67ChevyC10Stepside

im 6'8" so this will never be an option for me....lol