The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Rear Ends

well i'm just full of questions now cause my project is starting to move along more quickly.

Who has put a later model 5-lug rear end in thier truck?.

i know that i have to change the perches...which is no big deal really
how did you guys tackle the "panhard bar bracket" did you make one to bolt onto the housing where the rear cover bolts on or did you cut the one of your old rear and weld it to the new one?

i don't think the swap should be all that hard, cause the spring perches are on the trailing arms and not the axle itself?

any idea on what years/cars/trucks are approx the same width as a stock '69 rear 1/2 ton

guess i could just go to the bone yard and start measuring.
only thinking of doing this cause i can get rears for $50 from a friend who has a yard and the '71-'72 are harder to get/ more $$$$
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
68LSS1

I got the axle pads from Stock Car Products. As far as the panhard I'm running the HTH kit so that was solved for me. I think CCP makes a kit that has the adjustable panhard, bracket and pads. Yes, it's them look here. I'm going to run a 8.8 out of a Explorer because it's strong, has a 3.73 traction lock and disc brakes. I can get a standard 1350 pinion yoke for it also. Plus it was new (Ford surplus) and most importantly the price was right. It was also narrower so I can do a small inner wheel tub to increase wheel size.