The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2004, 02:55 AM   #26
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I thought the frame vin#s were under the bed also.Didn't one of them boys from Colo. do a post on cutting the frame and not wanting to cut the vin#s?(chevy dude or glock)....Hey Junkyardjohn WTF is willy-nilly? lmfao. There is no hard fast rule about anything in this life.There are so many variables from state to state,let alone person to person.State inspections are usaully done in the county seat that you are from in smaller areas.But what do I know?????

Last edited by kingsolver72; 12-22-2004 at 12:24 AM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:09 AM   #27
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

just like sdkid said, they have NEVER came out of their office to check anything. as long as it doesnt come up as a stolen vehicle they could care less. I am a fan of the "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission" theory in this subject. I spoke to numerous peolpe (state troopers, city police, county sheriff, DMV) and they all say the same thing. they expect you to apply for a new VIN if you swap cabs. then in a low tone with any microphone off they say as long as it all looks ok at a quick glance there is no problem switching vin tags. <wink-wink>
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #28
raggedjim

One of the old car magazine in the '80's built a '57 chevy and all they started with was the dash board and a vin plate. They were trying to show the availability of aftermarket parts. I can't remember if they ever registered it or not, but it was kinda cool and the only thing I remember them having problems with a filler plate between one of the bumpers.

ANYWAY, in Ky they check the vin if the vehicle comes in from out of state, but they don't check the frame vin.

As long as it has had a previous Ky title they don't check it. The blazer I have had an incorrect vin on the title which followed it through 5 owners, I finally got it corrected when I bought it (I like my paperwork to match!) If I hadn't checked it it would still be wrong...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:55 AM   #29
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Primered_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69
From what I was told in Texas the title goes with the body (cab) of the vehicle. I was told this by a DMV person about a truck I am cobbling togeather.
Thanks, that answers the question I was asking.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #30
junkyardjohn

(quote)State inspections are usaully done in the county seat that you are from in smaller areas.But what do I know?????(quote)
I LIVE IN CARSON CITY NEVADA & IT IS THE STATE CAPITOL. IT SEAMS LIKE EVERY THIRD BUILDING IN THIS TOWN OF 80 SUM THOUSAND IS A STATE BUILDING. (QUOTE FROM MIXUP) My friend just had a run in with them and he owns an AC and Hot Rod business here and they told him and I quote " maybe you better find another line of work because we are not registering this car if we can't find the numbers. And I will show you 4 cars that had to have the floor cut so the so called inspectors at the Sahara station could see the numbers. (QUOTE)
EVERY CAR MADE OR IMPORTED INTO THIS COUNTRY HAS A VIN# IN SIGHT EITHER IN THE DASH OR IN THE DOOR JAM.(THAT IS SO WHEN YOU GET PULLED OVER, THE OFFICER CAN CHECK YOUR VIN # AGAINST YOUR REGISTRATION) IF IT IS NOT VISABLE, THEN SOMEONE HAS REMOVED IT, CAUSING SUSPICION. ANYONE THAT IS TAKING A VEHICAL IN FOR A VIN INSPECTION OUGHT TO KNOW IF THE VIN # IS IN PLAIN SIGHT OR NOT. (OR ELSE THEY SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING) JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 12-21-2004 at 12:25 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:35 PM   #31
Mixup

John my truck has been registered in Nevada since it was new. The po changed it from a 6cyl to a V8. When I went to register it they checked the whole truck and all the numbers. Even though they were in plain sight. I put in a new crate motor and of course it has no numbers on it so I had to show them a receipt from the dealer for the motor. Why? Who knows. It all depends how they feel that day. When I put Classic Rod plates on my truck the DMV didn't know how to do it. The lady at the counter sent me outside for inspection and the inspector said what are you doing here,you don't have to be inspected again. Sometimes you get a good person in the DMV but most of the time you don't. I think so many people are moving to southern Nevada that they are now breaking balls. Any other little town in Nevada probably doesn't check anything.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #32
nyncompute

I could write a book about those dipsticks at the Nevada DMV. I would rather have a boil on my @$$ removed with a blowtorch than have to go there. It seems everytime I go there its always a different issue I thought I had solved with the last visit. You are right about they're being no rhyme or reason to their methods. Other than that they're fine
nyncompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #33
RainFade

Ohio checks the vin against the title on out of state vehicles you bring in and want an Ohio title for.
With that in mind I took my new to me 71 from Montana, montana title, release of lien, odometer statement and checkbook to the local title agency yesterday.

Lady came out to the parking lot, I opened the driver door and tried to point out the plate in the jamb... she says 'no it's right here on the door'
So I guess I can hang that door on any truck I like and use this title

You supposes how thoroughly they do the job depends on the inspector and in this case the wind chill factor ?

My lame K20 page

My lame Eaton disc brake page

RainFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:48 PM   #34
68gmcdually

My '68 GMC sitting on it's '92 chassis, including drivetrain is registered as a '68 to avoid drive clean, our version of pollution control. My dad has a '52 International (IHC) L-180 cab over crew cab that is 3 cabs welded together sitting on a 1986 IHC DT466 frame with a 23' car hauler on the back and it is registered as a '52 as well. Hopefully we are doing it right.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote