The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
chevybill

Factory sway bar hole on lower control arms?

Today, I pulled the upper and lower control arms off my front end and noticed a pair of holes in the lower arms on the side facing the front of the truck and was wondering......

Could these be mounting holes for factory sway bars? and would the aftermarket sway bars bolt into these holes?

Also do the shafts on the upper and lower control arms wear out? I have rebuild kits with new shafts and was looking for wear on the old shafts and could not find any wear.

Lastly are the holes already in the rails for the other mounting area for sway bars? My truck came factory without any swaybars.
One other question, the bar connecting the tie rods together, is this a wear item that needs replacing?

Thanks guys for the replies.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
68LSS1

Those would be the holes for the swaybar. The only additional holes you need are on the frame. If I remember right one will require a rivet to be removed to be replaced by a bolt for the sway bar bracket. If you have new shafts and have or are going to be taking the front suspension apart, I'd change them. Especially on these 30+ year old trucks. As far as the tie rod sleeves, just clean it up and inspect for cracks. Pay special attentions to the threads.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Look in the FAQ section for an article I did on swaybar installs. Lots of pictures in it that explain everything.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
mikeoj

If you're refering to the "bar" as the center link.This usually is not a wear item.The wear is the inner tierod ends and the idler arm.
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Sonny

I just finished replacing the upper and lower control arm bushings today. I started two weeks ago. Replace everything. Make sure you orient the pin holes on the lower control arm shaft. The holes go forward. Make sure you chase all the threads with a tap and die. Things will go better when you go to torque everything down. Check your upper control arm for cracks too. I found one I had to get fixed. If you have everything apart, take your time to clean and paint everything up.

I replaced the upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, several tie rods, the steering gearbox, steering column,power steering pump hoses, power steering pump, brake lines, installed a March performance pulley kit, and a new fuel pump in two weeks. I just got back from the alignment shop today and she rides like a dream!

Sonny

1968 C10, White 2-4 ECC drop 17" Billet Specialties wheels, Edelbrock top end 350ci/TH400, 3:73 rear end
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote