The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Primered_69

When to replace front end parts? Why price disparity among brands??

I am redoing a frame that will replace my rusted out one. How do I know what should be replaced and one can wait awhile?

Is there a real difference in parts companies that sell them because there is a great disparity between the cheap stuff and MOOG/ trw. What makes them better? Are they "reboxed" or "generic" places that have MOOG/ TRW under there brand name?

I am trying to decide wheter to do it now with some good some generic, wait until I can do it all, or just leave the stock system like it is for now.

Any advice.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
cableguy0

personally i use nothing but moog there stuff seems to hold up better and is usually improved over the factory stuff so it lasts longer. moog sells a lot of reboxed stuff i just cant think of any of the brands off hand. just remember suspension isnt exactly a good place to price shop. if a ball joint or tie rod breaks you can be assured you will crash and hopefully you wont be going too fast at the time it happens
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
HeavyD

When it comes to parts that could impact safety, I always buy good parts. Maybe the cheaper stuff is Ok, but they have a short warranty and I was advised to stay away from them. If you are on a tight budget, I personally would spend the extra cash on steering parts and maybe cheap out on other stuff like buying used fenders instead of repops, etc...
Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Michael, buy Moog. No question about it.

I put suspension parts on for 12 years and hands down, the Moog brand is tops. They actually address poorly designed OEM parts with their better designs called "Problem Solver".

For instance, late model GM idler arms wear out all the time. Moog Problem Solver units are about twice as massive and don't wear out like the original.

Do it once, do it right, and spend a little more up front. Yours, your wife's and your daughter's lives are worth it.

If the price is scaring you, shop at Summit racing. They sell Moog and free shipping on them too.

Moog parts have the name stamped into them. Look closely and you'll see it. There's no doubt about them being the real McCoy.

Ball joints usually need changing as well as idler arms, tie rod ends, and maybe pitman arms.

Frankly, control arm bushings can be a little worn and you won't notice it too much. Even worn, they don't usually affect alignment too terribly much and they're not too much of a safety factor, like ball joints can be.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-20-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Primered_69

Thanks for all the responses that is what I wanted to know. I think I could do the ball joints, idler arms, tie rods and leave the control arm bushings for a little while. I don't want to be cheap I just wanted to know why the difference...not just that it's made in the USA. I want to know that I am getting more for my money and not just buying a name of manufacturing location.

Some people say don't buy the cheap stuff but thanks for telling me why the name brand is more expensive.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
firemanchuck
FightingFire Saving Lives

That was some really good info Tx Firefighter. You definetly made my mind up on front end parts. Thanks
firemanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 AM   #7
Piper71c10
Unending Project

Most of the good parts stores carry Moog under their brand names... All you gotta do is ask. I work at a carquest (very part time), and all of out good suspension stuff is Moog. Your partspro will usually have a list behind the counter of who makes their stuff. If they don't know, find a better parts house.

Piper
Piper71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:59 AM   #8
Alex Hayley

Are the rebranded Moog parts the same as the Moog brand parts?
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I always installed the name brand Moog stuff in the blue and yellow box.

Here's a picture of a ball joint....

If you're shopping for generic Moog stuff, notice the name stamped into the body of the part in the picture. Do the reboxed stuff have the stamp on them?

Look at it this way, the stock stuff lasted 30 plus years in some cases, and the Moog stuff is even better than stock was, so this is likely to be the last suspension part ever installed on your truck
Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
Piper71c10
Unending Project

The answer is yes, the moog stuff is the same, even has the same stamping.

piper
Piper71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
Sonny

If you are replacing everything, I recommend that you use the 72 steering components, they are beefier (bigger dia shaft). My 68 has 72 steering components on it. I didn't notice it until the other day when I went to replace the tie rods on my truck and they were too small(the 68 parts). The book I was looking at showed the 71-72 using the larger components. I didn't look too long and hard to see what else was different, I was in a hurry and was just trying to match up what was on my truck and get out of there.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote