The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
bagged91
Out draggin'

Found a blazer, What should I look for and how much to offer???

I found a 69 or 70 4wd K5 Chevy Blazer yesterday. It appears to be semi original, partly unmolested.

It still has the original paint(blue) with the double wall top. I did see a small crack at the rear corner on it but looked fixable. Liftgate & all glass looked OK. Tailgate is rotted. 1/4's didn't look too bad but they do have some rust. Rockers have small pencil eraser sized holes all over them. Doors were fixable but have some holes. Fenders are crap as well as the grille. Has a small nickel sized hole over windshield above drivers head but bottom of windshield looked ok.

Truck has BENCH seat in front which appears to be a pickup seat as the upholstery doesn't go all the way to bottom. Didn't Blazers come with buckets??? No rear seat and rear floor appears to be rusty. Truck is not a CST, has no A/C, no Tach or tilt. It is a 4spd, not sure on motor or running condition. Has cheapy 6 lug white wagon wheels which are RUSTY with one flat tire, no suspension lift. The rear lug nuts & studs appear to have rotted themselves together(can't see the edges of the lugs or threads on studs). Truck was last inspected like 4 years ago and last registered 3 years ago.

What else should I look for on these. I don't know too much about them... How much should I offer. Oh, it also has an old plow on it...

I have an 8 lug Dana PowerLok rear in my 72 Burb(coil spring). If I get this K5, I would want to put the Dana in it. I should just have to weld on axle pads right??? What can I swap the front rear for(cheaply) to give me 8 lugs with DISC BRAKES. I would want to do a moderate suspension lift to put a set of 35X12.50x15's on it. Not interested in offroading it, just want a BADA$$ lookin truck....On a budget...

Thanks!
Joe
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

My 70 K5 that I picked up last February had set for advertised 4 years but closer to 6-7 and has very little rust. I got it for $600 and I felt it was a bargain. Replacing all the rubber lines and getting a truck that has set for a few years takes a bit of money and usually helps keeping the price down. I'd start at $500 and see what type of response you get. It sounds low but that Blazer sounds like it needs a fair amount of work and rust always helps keep the price down.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack
I'd start at $500 and see what type of response you get.
DITTO, $1000 WOULD BE THE MAX IF YA JUST GOTTA HAVE IT, $750 IS
WHAT WOULD BE MY MAX, LIKE YJ SAID, IT NEEDS ALOT OF WORK
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
c-1072

Blazer

As i am learning quick about blazer parts they are few and far between if that thing needs rockerboxes and a rear floor count on spending almost what you paid for it to get these parts unless you are real crafty with sheetmetal and a welder . I have beem talking to everyone who will talk to me and weighing my options for the best outcome for the best money wether it be replacing the whole tub or repairing mine . If i can answer any questions you got fire away . If not these guys are the best they are more helpful than any friend i got around here . And there pretty much isnt anything one of them can answer .
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-1072
And there pretty much isnt anything one of them can answer

CAREFULL NOW, SOME OF US ARE JUST FULL OF

THIS IS TRUE, IF WE KNOW THE ANSWER WE WILL TELL IT,
THEN AGAIN IF WE DON'T WE WILL USUALLY SAY "I'M NOT
SURE BUT SOMEONE ELSE WILL CHIME IN W/ THE ANSWER"
Old 12-19-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
c-1072

Bs is plentiful

Ya i know it but it doesnt hurt to kiss a** I still need a lot of parts
Old 12-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-1072
Ya i know it but it doesnt hurt to kiss a** I still need a lot of parts
YOU SHOULD PM "KURT" (VTBLAZER) HE IS SOMEWHAT CLOSE TO YOU AND
A BLAZER GURU, HE HAS QUITE A FEW USED PARTS & LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE
Old 12-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
c-1072

vt blazer

I spoke with him he was real nice told me of what he had and i just cant seem too squeeze that wallet of mine hard enough to afford what he has . i will just hope if i cant find somthing else that he still might be selling it in the spring. i wont be building mine till them . I knew finding solid stuff was gonna be difficult but i wish i had just waited and used the money i spent on something from down south and carted it up . you never know though i just might make mine runnable and slap it up on e-bay the same devil i bought it from .
Old 12-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #9
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

I paid 500 for mine 4 years ago, the guy I bought it from had let it sit for 2 years before I bought it. He was asking $2000 when I talked to him. I talked him down by pointing out every thing it needed, all I did to start driving it was the brakes. one of the calipers had gone bad and taken the rotor down to paper thin. thats why he stopped driving it. My truck has a lot of the typical rust, it needs rockers but the floors and rocker boxes are real solid, the fenders and quarters are solid too, excluding a small rust spot behind drivers door, which I think is fairly common. it has the original seats and the top is decent though the hatch needs work. it's an old truck and it shows it's age cosmetically( it really needs paint) but I have done all the suspension and drivetrian so it runs and drives great.

From your discription it sounds like it needs a lot of metal work, Exspecially if it was a plow truck. If you can do it yourself go for it. If not I would consider looking for a cleaner truck because you will blow your budget on body repairs. from your description I wouldn't spend over a grand on it either depending on demand for these trucks in your area. good luck and let us know if you get it or not.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

Blazer

We paid $1500 for this one and drove it home.

One thing you may want to look out for is: you say it hasn't been tagged for 3 years. Some states require you to pay those back tags. Depending on where you live, that could be an expense you weren't expecting.

Sounds like a $500-750 Blazer to me. Tim found a Jimmy the other day that is in about the same condition and gave the guy $50 (fifty dollar bill) for it. I guess it's all in what you can get it for.

We always try to buy our projects this time of year. Everybody needs a little extra cash and you can usually get some good deals.

Bobbi

See my Blazer Restro Pictures HERE
tim_and_bobbi_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_and_bobbi_blazer
Tim found a Jimmy the other day that is in about the same condition and gave the guy $50 (fifty dollar bill) for it.
NOT AROUND HERE
Old 12-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #12
vtblazer

Hate to say this but it sounds more like a 'parts' truck than a resto project.
Save your cash and get one from down south somewhere, you'll be way ahead of the game. (rust game that is)
If you can see all those issues at fist glance, wait and see what you find once you really dig in. Not trying to be harsh, just letting you know what I've found in the past.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #13
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I paid 2500 for mine and it was was a good runner and looked soild... But like VT said if you can see those problems before you even get her home there are bound to be more once you dig in.. Mine has been pretty good I have been getting parts together slowly(mostly sheet metal)and waiting untill I THINK I HAVE EVERYTHING..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote