The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
ponjohn

87 SB TBI question...

Hello All- Happy Holidays.

I went to look at an 87 K30, 4x4 5.7 TBI, auto, utility body for my business. Guy said make an offer...here is the question.

I started right up and idles but seems to idle real rough (alost as if it had a miss), owner said a mechanic said that there are multiple sensors on this engine and it would costly to change them, being th first year of TBI do you think this would a costly repair (knowing as little as I do about the problem)? BTW- this is a crate motor that has about 80k on it.

I have an 85 dually that is carburated so without buying a manual I thought i would ask here first.

Thanks-
john
ponjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
ponjohn

One other thing- anybody done lower ball joints on a 4x4? How much of deal is it?

John
Old 12-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
Hello All- Happy Holidays.

I went to look at an 87 K30, 4x4 5.7 TBI, auto, utility body for my business. Guy said make an offer...here is the question.

I started right up and idles but seems to idle real rough (alost as if it had a miss), owner said a mechanic said that there are multiple sensors on this engine and it would costly to change them, being th first year of TBI do you think this would a costly repair (knowing as little as I do about the problem)? BTW- this is a crate motor that has about 80k on it.

Thanks-
john
The TBI used in 1987 is the same motor used in 1988-1990, so it would be no more expensive than to fixed those. There are only 5 basic sensors for the system: O2) sensor, MAP (manifold absolute pressure), TPS (throttle position sensor), IAC (idle air control), and CTS (coolant temperature sensors) and Knock Sensor.

Is it throwing codes?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
ponjohn

captkaos-

I'm not sure if it is producing codes, I'll go down there next week and let it run and check other things out like the a/c and other accessories.

The body is in decent shape, inner front fender wells are rotted, fenders doors and cab corners are very good. The util body has some rot inside on one shelf just above the DS rear tire. all in all if I can get for 500-800 i will pick it up. It'll be much better on gas than the dually, better organization too.

John