The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
tmad

Still Steering

Wondering if anybody here has ever converted a 67 from linkage mounted power steering (corvette style) to a conventional system? And if so did you have to also change the relay rod and the big ? is where can I get one or what years will work? Merry Christmas to all!!! Todd
tmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

68 - 87, but somewhere around 80 to 82 (i think) is when they chainged to metric fittings, which can be a PITA.
You'll need to heat and dimple the frame rail. When you go to place the bof on there, you'll see where it needs dimpled. It's not much.
As for the pitman arm and all that other stuff...I couldn't tell you if they need swapped to or not. There is another thread with a similar Q going on somewhere in the first 3 pages right now.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
oldsub86

I really don't know if there is a difference in the frames between a '67 and a '68 but I don't think you have to do anything specific on a '68. I pulled a power steering box and pump from a '68 in a junkyard a few years ago and have not managed to put it on my truck yet. I have been collecting stuff for it but have not tried to see if all the parts fit yet. The donor was a V8 and the brackets for the pump therefore wouldn't fit on my 292 inline 6. I now have some inline brackets and a double groove water pump pulley so I hope I have what I need. I picked up another pump and brackets off of a 250 this summer as well. It had hoses which the first setup did not. The box came with the pitman arm so that won't be a problem for me but I don't think it looks any different than the one on the truck.

A friend put a power steering setup from an early '70s Chevy on his '68 GMC and had no issues. I think he put it all on and had it working in under an hour.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

the 68 could be had with either the old ram assist set up, or, the later ones had the 'normal' power assist.
Some ppl will use spacers to place the box just far enough away that the dimple is not needed, however, this is a vary bad idea. There is also a kit which consists of a plate, but that is nothing but a spacer...still a real bad idea.

I forgot to add that with the later gear box, you'll need to modify a bumper bracket.
Also, the 73 & up box is a bit more desirable since it has variable rate steering.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
purple gas

On my truck, a 67 GM (Canadian made) there's no dimple. More of a pimple. Or more accuratly there are bumps where the steering box bolts goes. The steering box I got bolted right up, no frame clearence problems, but I will have issues with my bumper bracket. The truck I got it off was shimmed out with washers. I'm definatly not an expert but with the bumps where my box bolts on isn't that the same net effect as a spacer or shimms?
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
tmad

Hey Thanks guys! Ive pretty much got the pump and stuff figured out my problem now is with the relay rod on my truck. Ive got the vette style power steering which mounts right on the end of the relay rod where the pitman arm connects, my pitman arm has a tapered hole on each end I THINK most of you have a ball stud on the relay rod end right???? I think now I am looking for a manual steering relay rod. ANY BODY GOT ONE???????? MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALLL Toddd
Old 12-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

purple, when you go to mount it up, it it bolts on and tightens up flush, then you are in. I think there is still a dimple needed.

tmad...What is it you are calling a relay rod?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
tmad

The rod that your pitman arm and your inner tie rods attach to. Is this not the right name?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:44 PM   #9
69ChevyLB

I think you're talking about the drag link.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho all your life.
69ChevyLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
tmad

Yes Ive heard it called this also. Does anybody know where I can get one of these???