The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
muddpile

Depth Under seat for sub box?

I have decided to keep the gas tank behind the seat. It's easy to fill up there, it doesn't leak and it's just less work to leave it where it is. That means, however, no room for back there. So my question is this: How much space is there under the seat. I have a 72 with the stock bench in it. It is majorly cold here right now and there is a lot of junk under my seat, so I really don't feel like measuring it and I figured that someone here might know. I would like to know how big of a sub I can fit (8", 10", 12"?), how deep the space is and how much airspace there is under there. I would likely place the sub on the passenger side and the amp on the drivers side. I would assume nothing would fit on the tranny hump in the middle?

Also, how big of a component set have people done? Will 6.5" work with a separate 1" tweeter or is only 5.25" possible?
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
724wdcopper
graphic designer

been a bunch of threads on this lately. if i remember correctly, my old sub box was 7 inches on the tall end and 5 on the short. it was a facotry kicker box with an 8" solobaric in it. i've got 6.5"s in the doors. had the sub under the pass side with a phoenix gold XS2300 in the middle on the hump, until some scumbag ripped the sub and amp off, that is. anyway, i had to unhook the seat adjustment cable (that allows the seat to move forward/back) and cut off the attachment point on the far pass side. the box fit exactly between the hump and the seat support. i also had a grill on it, because the seat rested directly on the box. i didnt want someons fat butt squishing the sub.

solobarics are pretty deep, but need little air, JL XW6s are deeper, but great subs, too. boston, kicker, blau, all good subs. if price is not an issue, try this

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/Blaupunk...rive/Subwoofer

724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I think mine is 13x14x6.5 with a 10" MTX in it.Fits underthe pass side amp under drivers,6x9 in enclosures in front of the seat for now.
I do still have half adjustment of the seat though
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
muddpile

So basically a sub in the neighborhood of 5 1/2" deep is what I'm after, and that will run in a box around .6 cubic feet. Brainchild, does that fill up under there or is there still a little room above and around the box?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
muddpile

NEW IDEA!!! I saw on here once, a guy who put a bazooka bass tube in the corner beside the gas tank. My seat doesn't tilt forwards, So my measurements might be a bit off, but it looks as if I have about 9" wide, 20" high and 7" deep back there. That area would be perfect for a hard hitting 8" sub such as a JL Audio W3V2 or a Kicker L7. Has anyone got the actual measurements, or is this even possible? I think it would be a lot better than under the seat, more out of the way etc. etc.