The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
Tink

Can I use a NP203 with a 700R4?

I've got a TH350 that I love except for highway driving. I'd be interested in the kit from gear venders but I want to keep my NP203 unadulterated (full time 4wd)... Can I mate that NP203 to a 700R4?

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
plumbcut
california fill

anything can be done w/ advance adapters! it gets pricey quick, but its definately do-able.. you have several options, none of which Im an EXPERT on but let me give you a couple details that will hopefully help you--

the th350 and 700r4 are both going to be 27 spline outputs.. which is good. But the 700r4's stock output shaft is going to be too long to mate correctly with the 203. Some have cut it whilst still installed in the trans, and its not recommended.. I guess you cut off a lot of the spline, and its just ugly. AA makes an adapter (Ive run a couple of them to mate a 700r4 to a np205- they work great) but you have to have a tranny guy tear the trans down and replace the output shaft, then put it all back together... an option. $$$$

somebody on the net makes a spacer that goes between your trans and t-case adapter to take up the extra space of the 700r4's output. Ive heard good things about this too.. its probably cheaper and easier and more failsafe, and best of all its reversible in case you wanna go back to the old setup some day. who makes it and where to get it, i dunno but it shouldnt be hard to find.

both options will (theoretically) reqiure a slightly different length driveshaft for the front and rear...partly because of the spacer, mainly because of the longer 700r4.

hope this is of some use! good luck

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote