The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
Denny

Stainless Headers

I was wondering if anyone has tried the stainless smallblock headers and exhaust from Stainless Works in Ohio? I am interested in them but would like to know if they are a good product. Another thing that bothers me is they recommend using Accel stubby spark plugs.

My truck had a set of cheapy headers on it when I first bought it 6 years ago and I changed to ram horns because of the constant exhaust leaks. My ram horns are the small ones and I don't think they flow well enough for my 383 vortex engine I just put in.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

Rams Horn exhaust manifolds suck! They dont leak but thats the only thing goig for them. Even the corvette models will never build as much power or deliver gas mileage as a cheap set of headers. Exhaust scavenging is what makes engine efficiency.

I use pure copper exhaust manifold gaskets and flange gaskets. Theyre available through summit. I think I spent $60 on the set. Theyre reusable and they never leak.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
Denny

I agree they the ram horns are very restrictive. I am really wanting stainless headers for my truck. I hate messing with exhaust. I would like a good quality stainless that seals well.
I wish borla made headers for the 67-72 trucks.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:52 AM   #4
SCOTI

It's possible borla make headers for 68-72 chevelles & they are interchangeable w/these trucks( I've got sanderson 3/4 length BB headers for a chevelle on my 67 now). The biggest problem w/stainless exhaust systems(other than cost!) is the temps cause the stainless to expand/shrink which will make sealing that much more difficult if it's already a concern. Off the shelf headers w/ceramic coating would be cheaper & HPC has a coating thats a high luster finish that makes them look almost polished & it used to be lifetime warranted( I'm not sure if it still is these days).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 12:24 PM   #5
Denny

Hi SCOTI

Thanks for the info on the Chevelle headers, I did not know they fit the trucks. I heard the stainless has some problems with expansion. I was wanting headers that would last so I don't have to mess with them again. How do you like the Sandersons you have? Are you using any kind of wrap on your plug wires for the heat? Does the ceramic coating hold up well to rust? I think Sanderson was making some cast type headers too, but I have not been to their sight in a long time.
I will contact borla about the chevelle headers and see if they will go on my truck. The thing I like about borla headers is that they have 1/2" flanges.

I wonder what other brand headers people on the sigfht are using and how well they are holding up.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #6
SCOTI

The sandersons had the biggest tube I could find in a 3/4 length @ 1 7/8"& they have fairly thick 3/8 flanges. Since mine have only been ran less than a dozen times indoors I can't really say how well they would hold up in a daily realworld environment. The best thing about the HPC or JetHot coating process is that you can coat the inside & outside of the headers/exhaust to reduce temps underhood. Sanderson also makes a cast bb/sb manifold but I would'nt think it would flow as good as headers although it's possible they might flow better than ram-horns. I've talkes w/guys that have done stainless systems (I work for a dairy plant so I've got limited access to 3" stainless,u-bends,bolts,etc) & they all said the exhaust would likely 'grow' an additinal 1/2" to 1" in system length. I decided to go w/mild steel & get it coated w/the hardest part being the sections of the system were limited to a certain overall length so it would fit inside the tumbler for polishing & that added more flanges/gaskets. Hope this helps.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-06-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
Denny

Thanks for all th info on the headers. The HPC coating sounds real good, especially if it keeps temps down. Rust is of concern to me in Missouri, its so dang humid here it does not take long for things to rust. From what I read the 304 stainless is not too bad for growing as much as the cheaper grades of stainless.
I don't know anyone that has a set of the cast Sandersons so I am not sure if they flow well, I doubt if they flow as good as any header.
I hope some other people post on what type headers they are using. I used to use headman headers on all the cars I raced when I was younger, but I was not that concerned about how long they lasted or sealed at that time.

Hows things going down in Texas? I went to a few schools in Dallas for Southwestern Bell years ago and enjoyed it down there. I worked on Padre island and the McAllen are for 4 monthes for Southwestern Bell back in 1972 and had a great time down there. I am retired now.
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
Early Classics 6 Lug Disc Brakes and Spindles
All Stainless Lines
Old 07-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #8
Mudder

Welcome to the board!

You are very close to me Denny and I know some of the guys with 4x4's in your area. Im running hookers super comps had them jet hotted (whick IMO sucks) had that all sandblasted off and had them powder coated (high heat) this pring before Springfield Jamboree. They are holding up very well and have been hot. I have a satin finish but u can get a polished finsih also. I had mine done here in owensville. I cut my flanges, they never leak and I never have problems with the bolts coming loose. I use the cheap metalic manifold gaskets. Spark plugs are no problem.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 02:58 PM   #9
Denny

Hi Mudder67, Glad to meet you. Great having some local area people on the forum. You have a great looking 67. There are some nice looking 4x4s in this area. I think I may have seen your truck.... looks very good. Thanks for the info on the hooker headers and the powder coating. Plug clearence is real nice when it comes to headers.
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
All Stainless Lines
Old 07-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #10
Denny

HI SCOTI, Just went to the Sanderson sight and checked out their headers. They list a CC3 block hugger header for 60 and up small block chevy. They look like they would fit. Do you have block huggers on your big block? One thing I like they make the CC3 in stainless also.
All Stainless Lines
Old 07-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Mudder

Thanks Denny!

I'm down in your area pretty much. Went to fenton last night for the monthly cruise. Was at a photo shot at some quarry south of Cedar Hill last spring with some of your locals. Most of the guys from there are driving the wrong brand of truck. LOL
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #12
Denny

I probably saw your truck in Fenton. My son lives in Fenton. There are some nice trucks our years out here but now many 4 wheel drives. I just checked out the Hooker headers and they look good too.
All Stainless Lines
Old 07-06-2002, 05:04 PM   #13
SCOTI

Mine are the BB3 for chevelles w/big block. They aren't actually block huggers, more like standard headers that don't hang down past the oilpan. The small block equivalent would be either the CC-12 (1 1/2) or the CS-12 (1 5/8).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-06-2002, 06:04 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Like mudder, i am also running Hooker Super Comps, although mine are rust coated. I also run the manifold gaskets, and even though my flanges are not cut, I have no troubles at all. I have the dead soft alluminum ones on the bottom, but I already had them on hand when I bought the truck which came with the super comps.
As for Ram Horn manifilds, they out flow any other manifold that'll bolt to a small block, so I wouldn' say they suck....just not as good as headers.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 06:57 PM   #15
Denny

Hi longhornmail, Glad to meet you. thanks for the info on the Hooker Super Comps, they look like they are good headers.
I agree the Ram Horns are about as good you are going to get for cast manifolds, heck Chevy is still selling them in their performance catalog for $189 each. A lot of guys use them for racing when stock type manifolds are required.
I think a set of headers will help this 383 stroker alot.
I just saw a post for headers from Jegs that look real too. I have not gone to the sight yet though to check them out.
All Stainless Lines
Old 07-06-2002, 07:05 PM   #16
Denny

Hi SCOTI, I will check out those numbers at Sandersons sight. I was there earlier and the CC3 block huggers looked pretyy good too and they come in stainless also. The plug clearance was real good looking. I was wondering how good the block hugers are for low end torque and mid range power. That is what I mainly want. Thanks again for all the help. This sight is great for seeing what products are good and what is bad. So far Hooker super Comps seem very well liked also. I wonder how much horsepower and torque I can expect over the stock ram horns.
All Stainless Lines