The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Paul Clark

Post Por15

Can you put Por15 over undercoating?
Want to do the bottom of the cab, but there is undercoating in some spots that I can't remove.
Por15 over everything?
Just on the bare spots?
Don't use it. Just get some more undercoating?
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Some will say that you don't know what's going on beneath the undercoating, but IMO if it's still stuck on good and there is no visible signs of rust on the inside floor of the cap, then it's probably OK. Putting POR15 over the undercoating probably won't help, but it won't hurt anything either, so I say, clean it as best you can and slap POR 15 over all of it. Of coarse, I don't have a clue how POR15 will affect the undercoating, but I don't think you'll hurt anything by experimenting.

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 11:28 AM   #3
bigvinnie

I figure if it says you can paint over rust then you can paint over undercoating...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

POR 15 is not as good as people say it is. Maybe I just screwed up. They say paint right over the rust just get it clean. Well I pressure washed the frame, then used their marine clean cleaner, then painted. Well, if you scrape the paint it will come off. and if it gets chipped bad enough it will peel right off. I would atleast sand everything with 180 grit before you paint it or else it won't be as strong.

------------------
72 Chevy C/10
87 Chevy Silverado 4X4
www.geocities.com/chevylwb/chevylwb.html
Aberdeen South Dakota
WANTED: Drop Spindles
F/S: rebuilt Turbo 400 & Aluminum wheels w/ tires

72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:55 AM   #5
shadetree

I am having a lot of trouble with POR-15. After following the instructions, 100%, this stuff is flaking off, peeling, is sensitive to acids, it is NOT flexible, it is NOT anything else POR-15 claims it to be! I also tried POR-15's exhaust treatment, it comes off, after several months use. I cannot get POR-15 to answer my E-mails, either. I'm pissed!
Old 07-07-2002, 03:25 AM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

Ive posted it on here before. The guy who owns the NAPA store in Poulsbo Washington also owns the POR-15 company. All of it. He's in the store most days of the week as he also manages it. Give him a call. I'm sure he'd love the feedback.

To be honest I used to use the stuff all the time to paint guns with back when I ran a gunsmithing outfit. Went through a gallon or more of POR-15 a month easy. I used the chassis black and painted assault rifles that had been properly prepped as in rough sandblasted with ground glass, thouroughly washed and acid etched with a phosphoric acid solution, baked to 400F then painted 3 coats and baked at 400F for an hour or two. The stuff would NEVER come off after that and it looked great and was way tougher than any commercially available gun paint. Gun barrels get a LOT hotter than exhaust manifolds. Its the way I do pulleys, accesories and headers for cars now. I even have an oven in my garage. Painting over rust is just stupid no matter what the label says. Its cyanoacrylic paint . Its not magic.