The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2002, 08:26 AM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

How do you fix the speedometer?

In the stepside (70 gmc) It just sits there How do I go about fixin it??
Thanks

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:39 AM   #2
71Chev

Is the speedo cable good? Hooked up on both ends?
May need a new cable or a new speedo or both.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
dwaite72lnghrn

I would start and see if the cable is connected at both ends and is not rusted through anywhere. Hook a drill up to the trans end of the cable an spin it and see if the speedometer runs. This will tell if it is a cable, speedo problem or the gear in the trans if it is the trans gear when you go to get one tell the your gear ratio and trans type. Alot of times the cable breaks and the speedo will not move when the drill is run(you need a reversible drill I think).If it does not run disconnect from the back of speedo and run the drill on the trans end and see if the cable turns. If it turns speedo problem if it doesn't cable problem. Hope this helps
good luck on your trip.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:54 AM   #4
Gordo

Smile

You need to determine which part is at fault, gears, cable or speedo head. Does the odometer still register and not the speedometer? If so than I would blame the head. If nothing registers, reach up behind dash and disconnect cable from head, pull it down where you can see it, go for a drive and take note if the cable insert is turning, if not you can remove the insert out through the cable (not always nesesary to replace intire cable/sheath) and inspect for damage. this insert can be replaced easily, (don't forget to lube it when you install it). If there is no damage to the cable, your problem may be at the trans drive or driven gears. Jack up and support the rear of truck (this minimizes fluid loss) removec cable, remove small bolt and clamp holding sleeve, then gently pull the sleeve out, this will give you access to the drivin gear, inspect for damage. Seldom does the drive gear get damage, but you can eye-ball it through the opening to see if it is damaged or not. To replace the drive gear would require removing the driveshaft and tail extension housing from the trans, not a big deal but probally not nesesary.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

And if you end up pulling out the little gear, you'll see it is color coded for easy ID. I know I have a spare white one you can have if needed...just swing by here on your way to GA.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #6
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

IF IT IS INDEED THE SPEEDO HEAD, & YOU NEED ANOTHER ONE, EMAIL ME & I'LL SEND YOU ONE (I'M SURE I HAVE A COUPLE LYING AROUND) FOR THE POSTAGE. (WE'LL CONSIDER IT A HOUSEWARMING PRESENT) LOL
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:32 AM   #7
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Thanks everyone for you help, Ive printed out alla your info. Dont think we're gonna get to this real soon, lol. Got our yard sale goin on this weekend, (oh thrills ) Then one more week til we head to Ga~!!!!!! Thanks again,
Yaller AWSOME!!!

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote