The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
DCRANER

Rear Fuel Tank?

Been thinking of doing aftermarket tank in rear, where spare was, but, as I want to have the fill tube in the stock flapper door location would a stock tank from a Blazer / Surburban fit? Since these trucks had the spare in the interior I would think it would fit and that would also give me a stock gas fillup location.

Any thoughts or has someone done this?

Thanks.
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
KShortell

You'd have to do custom sheetmetal work to use a "stock" filler location. The fuel fill for Suburbans is on the passenger side aft of the rear wheelwells, not forward as in the pickups. The frame is not notched or anything, although there is a bulge in the interior for the filler neck routing.

I've seen photos of a custom tank installation where a new filler neck and door were frenched into a pickup in the "Suburban" location, but that sure seems like a lot of work-- outside of my own skill set at least.

Kevin
'86 Chevy Suburban