The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Urethane vs Rubber bushings

Getting ready to buy my cab mount and rad support bushings and want some opinions on this. I had always heard "Go with urethane bushings". I'd like to hear from some people who have used the urethane bushings and see exactly how "bad" the ride is. Thanks, .....Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Dean

i really didn't have a ride issue with the urethane bushings, but they have already went bad on my blue K20. I went back to the rubber ones on my green K20. I have replaced two of the urethane ones on my blue truck and I need to replace them all. Maybe I just got a bad batch? My blue truck has been together about 10 years, 25K miles and never driven in the winter.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
dons454s

I didnt have a problem with them wearing out I had a problem with them making noise. I used them every place on my camaro and the ones on the a arms and rear shackles squeak like crazy. I need to lube them up at least 3 or 4 times a year.
dons454s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The ones on my Mustang's suspension "scrunch" as the suspension moves through it's travel. Not a squeak per say, it's just a funny farting noise. The stock Ford rubber ones never made a noise.

I run rubber body and cab mounts on a truck for sure. Why would anyone want to stiffen up the cab and body mounts? The cab doesn't sway or affect the handling. I've always thought that urethane body mounts are kind of a gimmick myself.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Tx - I figured the urethane ones would be better because they last much longer than the stock rubber style. I'm not road racing the ol' girl or anything like that, I just want to put really good stuff in there the first time. .......Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

I just put in a Prothane body mount kit in the K5 when I did the body lift. Regardless of poly vs. rubber, I am ecstatic- both of my doors open and close very easily now!

On a pickup, I would say rubber would be fine and yield you a better ride, but on a Blazer I would go Poly since the bodies are SO prone to flexing anyways, you can use all of the stiffness you can get.

If you are still on the fence, just use cost to settle your dilemma!
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons454s
I had a problem with them making noise.
I put poly's on my K5 for the supposed longer lasting abilities.
I had heard about the 'noise' issue so when I installed mine I smeared them with anti-seize compound, they've never made a sound yet.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I prefer poly for suspension items and rubber for body mounts. I've know a few folks that because the poly mounts would not give as much as the rubber, it caused the floor of the cab to tear and give out. BTW all these were on 4WDs that were saw alot off road use (not abuse, just use) so they saw a lot of flex. Not sure if this would be a concern for a street ride or not. Mine are 30+ yrs old and not in that bad a shape, so I don't thing the life span issue is a big deal, so body mounts are rubber. Just My $.02.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
ACES
Life is a gamble

I ordered some rubber body mounts and hardware from Yearone. I expect them to arrive tomorrow.
I read through a lot of posts here on poly vs rubber and I decided that rubber was the way for me to go.

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Harold Shepard

I have the energy suspension poly in my bl wht truck and had had no problems, just got a set of rubber mounts for Christmas for the project truck but don't know how they will work out- happy with poly- no squeaks or creaks.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 AM   #11
chip46wis

Anyone know of a cheaper source for these bushings? I am doing a 69 stepside and have found them from $60.00 on up-seems a little steep for a couple chunks of rubber.Thanks
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 AM   #12
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I went poly on the longhorn, due to clutch linkage issues with the tilt front end. The ride is a bit firmer that with the stock bushings, but not too harsh. The clutch works nice too crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #13
4x4Poet

Poly bushings come in different hardnesses and makeups. I highly recommend Energy Suspension's graphite-impregnated poly bushings. The graphite reduces the "squeaks." Greaseable sping pins and shackles eliminate squeaks. Not sure about 2wd A-arm or trailing arm bushings.

Back to the hardness. Some poly bushing makers use a rather hard bushing that gives little and rides rough. I'm not sure, but I think the bushings come with many lift kit springs to be able to handle the springs above oem stiffness. So which poly hardness # the mfr uses is important to ride. I forget the best number or range for leaf spring bushings. Around 45-50, probably. A-arms and trailing arms would be the same # or nearly so.

I've found Energy Susp. gets the hardness right. Firm to hold their shape but not harshly stiff. I just received an order of ('71) K10 greaseable shackles and pins from Off Road Design. They came with very hard poly bushings that were black but not graphite impregnated. I'm going to replace them with Energy bushing even though this will add costs.

I expect some other poly bushing makers/marketers make good graphite-impregnated bushings. I just haven't bothered to look too hard for them. Bottom of my list.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 01-06-2005 at 05:06 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
64fleetside

I have one truck with poly cab mounts & one with rubber, I can tell no difference in the two, no noise ever noted. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote