The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
sam's 72

Tell what you guys think about this? 406 SBC look inside

My step son has a 86 chevy truck with a 305. He wants to put a 383 in it. He has the funds. I was looking through some adds, and came across this. If you would tell me what your think about this. I have never ever owned a 400. Should I stay away from it or call the guy and find out more. This engine has never ever been fired according to the guy. I have not seen this yet. It is located about 100 miles from me. Can you think of any questions I should ask this guy? I am not happy with the solid cam in it, but for this price, hell I can change it out.

Up for sale is a 1971 400 SB. This engine has the following : .030 over, Speed Pro Coated Skirt Hyperutectic F/T Pistons, 5.7 Connecting Rods, Cast Crank Turned .010/.010 W/ The Oil Holes Shamfered, Balanced, New Professional Products Dampner, Cloyes True Roller Timing Set, Cam Button & Cam Lock Plate Installed, Speed Pro Rings, Speed Pro Engine Bearings, Melling H/V Oil Pump, Steel Oil Pump Rod, 7qt Milidon Oil Pan w/ Matching Oil Pump Screen, ARP Main Studs, Milidon Solid louvered Windage Tray, Dart Pro I Aluminum Heads W/ 215 cc Intake Runner & Angle Plugs 70cc Combustion Chamber Yeilding About 10.8:1 Compression W/ Above Pistons, Crower Valave Train: Cam Is A Solid Flat Tappet .244/.248 @ .050 W/ .540/.549 Lift on a 1.6 rocker ( this cam is ground spicificly for a 1.6 rocker visit www.crowercams.com for more details), RPM Band 2800-6500, Crower Springs, Retainers & Locks, Speed Pro Hardned Push Rods, Cat Brand 1.6 Stainless Full Roller Rockers, Professional Produts Polished Open Plenum Intake, Lifter Valley vents Installed. $2,000.00 OBO Cash Talks. Would like to trade for a 4-wheeler atv or anything that might intrest me let me know what you have. The engine is located and built at Johs Machine in Bay City, TX

Let me know the pro's and con's
Sam
Old 01-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
StingRay

It's a bargain if it's all put together right.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
CHEVYE
my gas saver

400`s are awesome if done right. i`ve seen people hate em, and people that won`t run anything else. it sounds like there is a heck of alot more money in it than he is asking ($1300 set of heads there). i wouldn`t try to run it in a daily driver though. solid cam will get tiring, and the comp. ratio sounds a tad high.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Great deal! Check with the machine shop however to verify everything. See what kind of guaranty they have on their work. They might fire it and dyno it for you for a little more...save you pulling the motor if something is wrong. They might also be able to change the cam for you to a hydraulic if that is what you want for a more "streetable" ride.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
browndawg71

good deal . might want to go back through it , just for peace of mind. deal like that wont last long.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Bowtiefreak

That is a very reasonable price.( theres a couple things I would change) 400's are one he!! of a good motor. (See my sig)) 400's have a bad reputation and thats not due to the motor design, its due to the people that work on them and their over-all lack of knowledge. The cam listed is not too big for the motor,partially due to the fact that solid cams and hyd. cams are not the same. It's defentlly not ideal for a daily driver, but if ran with 3'73 gears and lower and at least a 2,800 conv., it will make a very nice weekend street truck. It just dependes on what you want out of this truck and motor. Just my opinions.
Bowtiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiefreak
400's have a bad reputation and thats not due to the motor design, its due to the people that work on them and their over-all lack of knowledge. .
very true words. usually people end up messing up in the steamhole area by using the wrong heads and or gaskets. guys i know that build 400`s also like to have the block "o" ringed.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
neonlarry

That sounds like a pretty good deal, just make sure the steam holes are drilled in the heads. I would try running it with the cam thats in it forst for a couple of reasons. With the high cimpression and the 215 cc heads, I dont think that engine would perform as well if you put a smaller cam in it. It sounds like the person who built it picked out the parts to match farily well, and just putting a smaller cam in it and nothing else might not be the best idea. (just depends on what cam you pick) Also, both since its a soild cam, not hydraulic, and since a 400 is quite a bit bigger than a 350, that cam wont seem as big as it sounds. If you get the engine, I would at least try running it for a while to see what its like. As long as you dont drive the truck 100 miles a day or something, there isnt anything wrong with running a solid cam on the street.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
sam's 72

I just talked to the guy on the phone. I am going Tuesday to look at this engine. He told me he will hold it for me over the weekend. There really isn't any thing to add other then, I ask why he was seling it, and he said due to baby one the way, and he needs to get married.

He did tell me the same thing that NeonLarry said about the cam, that it would be ok on the street as long as it is not being driven 100 miles aday. (He actually said 200 miles a day) It is still at the machine shop. He told me to go to that shop Tuesday. And I can talk to the guy that built it. And if I am not satisfied with that, tell the guy to take the oil pan off, and look it over myself. So I will be making a trip Tuesday. With cash in my pocket.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
724wdcopper
graphic designer

STEAL IT! STEAL IT NOW! Man, that's a smokin deal if it's what they say. since it's at the machine shop, that makes it even better. the owner wont be there. you can get straight fact (or at least one would HOPE) from the machinist. do you know anyone who has used this shop? see if you can get references while you are there. do it subtly, you dont want to sound accusiatory.

good luck man, sound like a deal!
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
Jimbotronics
YA YA

not trying to pick stuff out of context but there's a big difference between babies and 4-wheelers.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam's 72
Would like to trade for a 4-wheeler atv or anything that might intrest me let me know what you have.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Just look it over real well and like other said previously make sure he's clear on the guarantee on it. Should be a real power plant.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 01-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
sam's 72

I really don't know any body down that away to ask about this shop.
I did meantion to the guy about the four wheeler. He said that he can't give up all of his hobbies. That he is going to hunt no matter what. Put food on the table.

I built me a 383 last year for my 72. My step son wants one, so this all started out with looking for some parts to put together a 383 on a budget, I stumbled across this 406. I was planning on a mild 425 to 450 HP 383. I hope this is not too much for him. I don't have a desk top dyno, but look at the Ryan engine page and comparing this close to another engine on that site, it is going to be close to 510 to 530HP. If thos numbers on that site is acurate.
I just called my step son, he is pumped. I told him not to count the chicken before they hatch. Might drive all that distance and it be a piece of s#it
Sam
Old 01-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #14
Jimbotronics
YA YA

lol - well that sounds like a good enough answer to me. Good luck on it, hurry up and let us know the details on it. That's a lot of power for some one that isn't used to it, just teach him to respect it and he'll be fine, then again what the hell am I talking about I've never owned or driven anything with 500 hp.... lol.

'04 Chevy Avalanche

Old 01-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
sam's 72

I told the guy that I will buy it. If what he advertised the engine as being is right. He told me he is from old school, and that a man word to him is as good as money. I will not be able to go look at it till tuesday. It is an hour and a half away from me, I dont get off till 5:30, and the machine shop closes at 5:00. I didn't want to miss out on this, so I ask him to go pick it up and take it home, and I will just come to his house. he works shift work and can not get over there to do this. So I told him I will look at it on Tuesday if he will hold it for me. he said yes, that he will hold it. And that he won't be able to be there due to his work. If I like it and want it, give the guy at the shop the money. So it wont be till at least Tuesday. I will keep you guys posted.
Man, I really didn't want to buy my step som somthing that will out run my 72, but I can not pass this up if is what he says it is. My steo son is putting in a posi unit and 4 11 gears in his truck soon. He is also going to buy a 3000 stalh and have it ready to go in when he changes out the engine. It should get up and go for him. Going to be a big differance from his stock 305.

Sam
Old 01-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
sam's 72 this all started out with looking for some parts to put together a 383 on a budget, I stumbled across this 406. I was planning on a mild 425 to 450 HP 383.
Uhhhh . . ..... well built, mechanically sound & proven 383 for the step-son, freshly rebuilt 400 for step-dad!!!!! No worries about the pecking order that way . I mean, he did say he wanted a 383 right?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-07-2005 at 04:54 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #17
72gord
Never enough time!!

That thing will be night and day difference compared to a tired 305...looks like a great deal! Sounds like he had it all built and the little lady changed his mind for him, lol. Keep us posted
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #18
sam's 72

LOL SCOTI!
No way am I going to part with my 383. It is built stout. Eagle crank 4340 forged. eagle H-beam rods 4340 forged. SRP forged full floating pistons. Hydrolic roller cam shaft. I didn't cut any corners on it. If he starts running his mouth too much I will have to put a little sleeping gas on it.
Sam
Old 01-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #19
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

All the more reason to change the cam out for a stock one now...and don't foget to put that restrictor plate under the carb too...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote